2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

What can cause RADIATOR FAN NOT SPINNING (& A/C also recently not working) - MAZDA 3 2011 GX 2.0L ?

• Suggestive repair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Expert advise

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just would like to ask any ideas how I can move further in diagnosing my problem - Radiator Fan not spinning (and A/C recently not working). Below are the details of what happened and the things that I have already done. I need more suggestions please.
WHAT WAS DONE:
Background:
This car rear-ended another car and I suspect that the radiator/condenser have been slightly damaged.
But the body shop put everything back altogether. Until I noticed that the radiator fan is actually not spinning even after I turned the AC on to full blast.
1. I bypassed the Fan control module and jumper wired the fan directly to the car battery and it worked. Therefore, I can say that the fan is OK.
2. I checked the voltage of the Control fan module and I was getting like 12V as well to 14V. (I will double check)
3. I currently am waiting for a fan control module that I ordered online and planning to still replace it.
4. I replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor located near the engine side. Still the fan didn't spin.
5. Coolant reservoir is at max level.

NEXT STEPS I'M PLANNING TO DO:
a. I will check if there is a leak on the radiator/condenser via sniffer. (Still going to buy sniffer tool)
b. I will check using Manifold gauges if A/C system is OK or requiring top up of refrigerant.
c. I will check if Compressor is spinning or not.
d. Replace Radiator/Condenser and/or Compressor but would like to do this at the end since these are very expensive.

Any more ideas that I might have missed that you can recommend? I will highly appreciate your expert advise... Many thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Does the car over heat? The A/C issue may have no connection to the fan not running.
Stop throwing parts at the car. First things first - monitor the coolant temp and see what happens.
You do realize that the fan is thermostatically controlled and doesn't spin all the time? It only comes on when the engine gets hot enough, and if you are just sitting there idling that may take quite a while. If the A/C is not functioning, the fan might not come on either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying... No, the car has no over heating so far. You might be right that I might be looking for something that actually does not have any problem at all. But, should it spin when I turn on the AC to full blast?

·
Registered
41 Posts
no, check that the compressor on the engine turns when the ac is on, the centre part not the belt driven outer. It should click on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts