2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,

I need to install a better steering wheel for my car and was curious if anyone has found a center hub that fits? Searched all the big names and didn't see any listed. Searched the forum and didn't see any either - maybe not doable yet or have to go custom with it but before I went an tore the wheel off I thought I'd ask.

Note: I am not looking for an OEM replacement such as the auto exe or corksport, looking for a true race wheel to the likes of Sparco or Momo.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WorksBell 923...
Excellent, thanks.

Does the horn actually plug in, or do you loose that too? I'm assuming you get an error code for the air bag, any chance you were you able to clear that and have it not return, or does it reset every time with the car. My last Honda would pick up that it wasn't connected even after resetting the code -

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Excellent, thanks.

Does the horn actually plug in, or do you loose that too? I'm assuming you get an error code for the air bag, any chance you were you able to clear that and have it not return, or does it reset every time with the car. My last Honda would pick up that it wasn't connected even after resetting the code -
The horn & paddles work & if I can figure installation or replacement of the multi-function switches, they can, too. There are no SRS codes nor lights. Most quality hubs come w/ SRS resistors. No wires were cut nor spliced. 100% reversible. You can go the wheel size of your choice to gain legroom & adjust steering ratio quickness.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The horn & paddles work & if I can figure installation or replacement of the multi-function switches, they can, too. There are no SRS codes nor lights. Most quality hubs come w/ SRS resistors. No wires were cut nor spliced. 100% reversible. You can go the wheel size of your choice to gain legroom & adjust steering ratio quickness.
That's great, thanks for the info. I used a cheap hub & cheap wheel off eBay that were a dime a dozen (clearly my first mistake) on my first track Civic and it only had the horn connection which required splicing. I wasn't aware good ones had resistors for the SRS so that's excellent - thanks a lot for the info.

·
Rubber side down
272 Posts
Can anybody confirm other hubs that will fit a 2016 3? I have found reference that certain hubs for Ford Focus, new Fiestas, and possibly Mustangs have the same steering shaft connection (hex shaped, not splined). I am currently inquiring on obtaining a Works Bell hub, but I cannot find any information on the model number 923. I would actually prefer a Momo hub as most of them are designed to crush on impact as opposed to a solid hub that won't move if my face hits it (knock on wood).

NRG lists their short hub as compatible with Mazda 3, Focus, and Fiesta but I would rather stick with more reputable brands and again, this hub does not crush on impact.

Ideas? Info?

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
I remember looking into the WorksBell adapter and realizing the cost after having one imported from Japan and getting it installed I'd probably just be better off buying a CorkSport wheel or something of that nature. However, if we do have compatibility with the Focus/Fiesta hubs that would probably sway me back towards custom wheels.

That and the fact that mine is just so...bulky. Lol

·
Rubber side down
272 Posts
I got this CX5 hub. Some tweaking needed. Note those encircled red.... you have to drill 2 holes & cut some out to make it fit the 3's clockspring.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Crowders-Ste...MO-NRG-SPARCO-OMP-CX5-CX-5-2013-/141768468466

Wow, thats great info! I'm not opposed to making it fit with some modification. This looks like they replicated the Momo style crush structure. How is the stability with this hub? Any play in the wheel when it is hooked up? Are you still using it or have you found a better quality solution?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Wow, thats great info! I'm not opposed to making it fit with some modification. This looks like they replicated the Momo style crush structure. How is the stability with this hub? Any play in the wheel when it is hooked up? Are you still using it or have you found a better quality solution?
It fits well, but I prefer the Works Bell.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts