2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big thanks to @louis110 for his instructions, albeit for corksport different springs, same concept, only with racing beats you use all the stock hardware, just the springs are swapped.
Link to Louis110's guide..
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...es/61137-diy-installing-lowering-springs.html

Installed my Racing Beat springs last night - when my mechanic is too busy, i tend to get brave - I installed the rears last night (1.5 hours) and the fronts this morning (2 hours+, 45 minutes of which was figuring out how to deal with spring compressor and removing tophat without sending the spring into orbit)

Tips for the novice:
1. Be sure to loosen (not remove, just loosen) the tophat nut (center nut) before taking out the strut, especially if you don't have a vice...mine is out of service, so i had to quickly reinstall the first strut to loosen the center bolt
2. The spring compressors i bought from autozone SUCKED, there is no way fit them in the center of the spring while on the strut...i had to just use one side of the compressor to load the spring a bit and was able to carefully remove the top hat bolt out in the lawn...a bit of energy was still in the spring but as long as the bottom of the strut is not facing a small child's head, you are fine - some guys do it without compressors, but I wanted to be a bit more prudent. I did the same for installing the new springs - compress the spring just enough to be able to push down the top hat with my weight and thread the bolt a bit before then tightening the bolt proper.
3. Removing the brake line clips - just get your flat head screwdriver in the designed flat head hole and start wiggling and twisting away, the metal flat clip will eventually come out. Once the clip is out, you can just pull the brake line towards you, it's free, just can be stuck sometimes.
4. Allocate 2x the time for the first front and first rear, once you've done one, the second one will be a cinch.

The ride so far feels excellent - no noticeable "mod issues" , will feel stock to anyone else, but the car runs flatter around turns and just feels a bit firmer..reminds me a little bit of my old RX-8 the way it goes down the road. It's not a huge difference, but it is firmer....nothing violent though, can still handle bumps in relative peace.

Also, i hand weighed the stock springs vs the new RB springs ...they are pretty close to the same weight.

this is 2 days after installing...sorry if this link breaks, i'm getting fed up with amazon hosting

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
some more pics, further settling (in theory)...i've heard it can take months to fully settle

Car always looks excellent from this angle!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Amazon photo hosting is not working well for me - links keep changing, so sorry for all those broken links.

I've updated the the main post with onedrive links...lets see if these are static

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
OK Amazon photo hosting is not working well for me - links keep changing, so sorry for all those broken links.

I've updated the the main post with onedrive links...lets see if these are static
Imgur. Works much better than Photobucket, no pop ups, and easier to use too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone wanted to see a pic out in the interwebs, and why not fix the lack of picture in my old thread while driving +1 traffic to the site. Here's a pic soon after the springs were installed. Going on 4 years later and probably around 40k miles, I have not touched the suspension. Definitely has been install and forget, which in this case is a definite plus.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Reactions: fer_mor

·
Registered
151 Posts
How’s the handling? Ride comfort?
"The ride so far feels excellent - no noticeable "mod issues" , will feel stock to anyone else, but the car runs flatter around turns and just feels a bit firmer..reminds me a little bit of my old RX-8 the way it goes down the road. It's not a huge difference, but it is firmer....nothing violent though, can still handle bumps in relative peace".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts