2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Skyactiv Mazda 3 Sedan

Alright I looked around on a lot of these forums and posts about these coilovers but I could never find any good reasonable posts about them. So I just went ahead and bought a set just to see for myself what they were like. I have read a lot of the VW forums and all of them seem to really favor these coilovers, most with little to no problems. All over these Mazda forums however I see nothing but bad comments. Everyone seems to say buy BC coilovers as a fix to everyone’s problem. I am not going to use this car on the track or anything of that nature. So why would I spend that much money on some high end coilovers. I only want to lower my car and be able to adjust it when I finally get a set of rims picked out. I believe coilovers are the only way to get a proper looking stance. Spring and Strut are just going to lower you but if you ever get rims then you will not have the control you want to set your ride to the best height.

I bought a set of ultimo, just because the price difference was only around $30. I spent $490 shipped to my door. Shipping only took around 4-5 days to come in and boy was I excited. The shipping is, who cares. Good enough to not damage any of the parts. I don’t give a crap if it was wrapped in special bubbles that were handmade in Egypt. The construction seemed legit. However I am no mechanical engineer. I am in electrical so I would not know much about the construction like others might. I know that they were adjustable and a nice color.
Installation of these coilovers was kind of a pain. No instructions came in the box but if you have any knowledge of suspension components then you can suck it up and get them to fit no problem. The fronts did need a good bit of aggressive work to get the stock strut assemble out and the new coilovers in. Just a bunch of beating. I can go into more detail if anyone needs but I’ll keep this post to a more general review instead of an install guide.
The coilovers made me very nervous at first because I did not know what to think, due to all the mixed comments. I knew that no matter what I was going to drive very hard on these coilovers for a week or so because of the 30 money back guarantee.

REVIEW!!!!
Ok so I have been on these coilovers for a little over 3 weeks. And I have yet to have any types of problems. There is not any noises or any type of vibration or any popping. Just a bit stiffer than the stock springs. That’s what I paid for though. The corning is a completely noticeable difference. I wanted to be able to take an off ramp without my passenger attacking me from their seat. Surprisingly I feel as though I can hug the corners a lot closer and with way less body roll. Completely what I was looking for when I purchased these coils. The look is 100 times better. I remember being eye to eye with people in mini vans and it kind of made me depressed. Idk why they made a sport sedan so dang high from the factory. I went from being around a 27ish inches all the way around to being right at 25 inches all corners. That measurement is taken from the ground to the fender. So take it from me that if you install everything properly and drive your car like a sane human being then I would see no problem in ordering a set of these coilovers.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also am on Raceland coilovers but not the ultimos. Honestly for the price they are pretty good and I love the way my car sits. I didn't max out my rears because then my mud flaps would be scraping everywhere. After being on them for about a month and a half I do hear a slight popping noise coming from the fronts when going over little bumps but it doesn't really bother me much.

Overall they are the best bang for the buck and I don't understand why people hate on them so much. I understand they are not the best but you get what you pay for and I'm pretty satisfied. I just think people expect too much from some $400 coilovers.

·
Registered
393 Posts
if it works then it works. I'm on BCs and have been giving me a pain. But, BC and I are trying to figure out my noise/squeak problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
MZ3 is also not a sports sedan.

Looks good though, hope they work out for you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
if it works then it works. I'm on BCs and have been giving me a pain. But, BC and I are trying to figure out my noise/squeak problem.
Is it coming from the fronts or the rears ? And is the noise the only issue with them ?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Looks like the Ultimo have stiffer spring rates than the the regular Racelands. That's a good thing as the regulars were way to soft and noisy . It's nice to see that these are improved. The MZ3 Raceland when they first came out were pretty awful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured for the price I might as well go with the Ultimo. Also I live in Mobile, AL and we have high humidity all summer and sometimes in the winter and the Racelands have yet to show any cosmetic flaws such as surface rust or anything of that nature. I just adjusted them yesterday and did a quick check. Still no noise and no funky vibrations yet. Hope they stay decent for the long run.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Is it coming from the fronts or the rears ? And is the noise the only issue with them ?
mine only have an annoying noise in the front suspension. It's real bad. Every bump, imperfection on the road, everything- makes noise. I checked the preload myself, then took it to a shop. Everything is fine. they think it's the top hat or whatever is on the bottom of it. I paid the shop to visually and physically check all related susp components and they said it's all good. they also think it may be the top hat. I've forwarded everything to BC and nothing. So, I just have to wait.

I'll prob go with some H&R's. Hopefully, that will be better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
mine only have an annoying noise in the front suspension. It's real bad. Every bump, imperfection on the road, everything- makes noise. I checked the preload myself, then took it to a shop. Everything is fine. they think it's the top hat or whatever is on the bottom of it. I paid the shop to visually and physically check all related susp components and they said it's all good. they also think it may be the top hat. I've forwarded everything to BC and nothing. So, I just have to wait.

I'll prob go with some H&R's. Hopefully, that will be better.
Mine make a sound whenever I drive on imperfection roads as well and sometimes going over bumps but it comes from the front passenger side. I also think its coming from my top hat. I'm going to see if I can fix the issue and ill get back to you.

Reactions: tnax408

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Been on non ultimo racelands for way over a year.... Still great with out problems. Sup

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
The noise often comes from the pillow ball, which is a pain to tighten. Gotta take out the top adjuster, get a hex socket + long handle in the shaft and a long wrench around the pillow ball nut to actually torque it down. I haven't met a shop yet that checks this if just you ask them to do a "general check".

The pillow ball issue can happen with any such coilover setup, whether Raceland, BC, Megan, etc. Grab some tools from Harbor Freight and take care of it yourself, save money and headache. :)

Reactions: tnax408

·
Registered
393 Posts
The noise often comes from the pillow ball, which is a pain to tighten. Gotta take out the top adjuster, get a hex socket + long handle in the shaft and a long wrench around the pillow ball nut to actually torque it down. I haven't met a shop yet that checks this if just you ask them to do a "general check".

The pillow ball issue can happen with any such coilover setup, whether Raceland, BC, Megan, etc. Grab some tools from Harbor Freight and take care of it yourself, save money and headache. :)
When I took it apart to do the shock test, I made sure to tighten that. We tighten it so much that the hex broke and was flush with that top nut (under the adjuster). Luckily, it wasn't stuck because I used a magnet to take it out fairly easy. Scared the hell out of me though lol:smiley:

I'm going to wait and see if BC sends me some tops hats or whatever their rec. are and go from there. (that is if they get bk to me).

thanks for your help though, i know you've helped me out in the past w this issue :001_smile:

·
Registered
393 Posts

Can that pillow ball be torqued? Does it have to be and if so to what spec? Maybe I'll try this again :wacko:

I remember having to tighten the same part after a few weeks on the coilovers because it was loose. It made a clacking sound on the road and when I turned the steering wheel, you could see that particular coilover move left/right under the hood.

·
Registered
393 Posts
@tnax408 Are your racelands still running good? How many miles do you have on them?
I have BC coilovers. So, far I'm at about 15K miles no problems. Had some noise issues at first, but it got resolved with some adjustments.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts