2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been much discussion on Mazda 3 tyre noise on this forum. The Mazda 3s having 18" wheels we get in the UK from Japan are supplied with 225/ 45 R18 Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres. I do find these tyres noisy on rough surfaces and would consider replacing them if I can be sure of finding a quieter tyre. The Sport Maxx TT tyres actually have a low drive by EU noise rating but this doesn't necessarily mean they will be quiet inside the car.

I've listed below the tyres in the 225/ 45 R18 size available in the UK and their EU performance rating. Are any of these tyres significantly quieter for interior noise than the Sport Max TT tyres?

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
I use nothing but Michelins for performance, wear, and quiet.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Continental DWS 06's are known to be quiet for our 3's. Great tires, though I am choosing the Michelin A/S 3+'s myself for better handling and longer wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Different car, but I had Michelin Premier A/S on my VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI and while they handled well, they still produced a lot of road noise which got transmitted to the cabin.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I swapped out the stock Dunlops for Pirelli P Zero Plus All Season tires. I can tell they are quieter and handle better.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. Most of the tyres recommended above are not available in the UK (see my list). I noted the Continental DWS 06 on this and another thread but Continental don't sell them on the UK. I can obtain the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 so that would be an option if I'm sure it will reduce the interior road noise compared to the Sport Maxx TT.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Of the ones you listed, I've had good luck with Yoko's in the past. Not a Michellin fan. They are good tires, but the one time I tried them, I took a major hit in gas mileage - lost about 3-4 mpg going from Yoko's to the Michelin Primacy on a different car. Though I know what you've said about Continentals, I'd second them (with the Extreme Contact)... Best of luck!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I spoke to Mazda UK and they admitted the Dunlop Sport Max TT tyres are noisy (so why do they fit them?). Mazda recommended Michelin tyres to reduce the interior noise. The only Michelin tyre in size 215/45 R18 available in the UK is the Pilot Sport 3. Have any members tried these in comparison to the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres and are the Pilot Sport 3 tyres noticeably quieter? Does most of the road / tyre noise come from the front or rear tyres?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have "Pilot Sport 3" on my M3 (2017 model) from the factory and they are noisy. But I cannot compare to Dunlop, but that Michelins are very noisy. I opened this thread to find some replacement for the Michelins :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have "Pilot Sport 3" on my M3 (2017 model) from the factory and they are noisy. But I cannot compare to Dunlop, but that Michelins are very noisy. I opened this thread to find some replacement for the Michelins :)
I'm disappointed to hear about the poor Michelin Pilot Sport 3 noise levels. It's proving difficult to find a quiet tyre available in the UK. I looked at various test reports of low profile tyres available in the UK having lower interior noise levels and noted these options:

Toyo Proxes Sport
Hankook Ventus
Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric
Falken Azenis
Falken FK453​

Can anyone recommend / compare these with the Dunlop Sport Maxx TT tyres for interior noise?

Reactions: G11

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
I hear the new Firestone Firehawks are a great tire, tho its basically an autocross tire, no idea of noise levels. One thing to consider, dropping to a 17inch set of rims and run 225/50R17 tires, more sidewall which should be a slightly softer ride and possibly less road noise pending your tire brand/model choice. That is what I will be doing next summer, possibly this summer if I can find someone who wants to trade rims locally.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
I hear the new Firestone Firehawks are a great tire, tho its basically an autocross tire, no idea of noise levels. One thing to consider, dropping to a 17inch set of rims and run 225/50R17 tires, more sidewall which should be a slightly softer ride and possibly less road noise pending your tire brand/model choice. That is what I will be doing next summer, possibly this summer if I can find someone who wants to trade rims locally.
The Firehawk Indy 500 is a rebranded Bridgestone RE003.
17" is the way to go.:smile2:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Firehawk Indy 500 is a rebranded Bridgestone RE003.
17" is the way to go.:smile2:
225/50 R17 tyres have about 3% less circumference than the 215/45 R18 tyres supplied which affects the speedo calibration. In the UK, this wheel size is not Vehicle Type Approved for the Mazda 3 resulting in a significant hike in insurance if insurance can be obtained. Mazda UK advised to keep the 18" wheels and find a quieter tyre. They said consider Michelin tyres but some on the forum don't agree.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Good insurance information about UK tire sizes for Mazda3 owners considering a change. That is not an issue in the U.S.

While there is healthy disagreement on lots of things on this forum (transmission, color, model, trim, options, tires and wheels and so much more), perhaps you can either get a ride in a Mazda3 near you with other than OEM tires, or my favorite place to learn/research about tires is TireRack. And of course our many tire threads here that I am pretty sure you have already read and re-read.

Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
225/50 R17 tyres have about 3% less circumference than the 215/45 R18 tyres supplied which affects the speedo calibration.
Thats not true at all. For instance, the Continental DWS 06 is fairly popular on this forum. In 225/50-17 that tire is 25.9 inches overall diameter, . The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is the same, as is the Firehawk Indy 500.
215/45-18 tires are actually slightly smaller, not larger. Overall diameter is 25.6 inches, making for ~1.2% circumference difference and less then 1 mph between the two sizes.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
In the UK, this wheel size is not Vehicle Type Approved for the Mazda 3 resulting in a significant hike in insurance if insurance can be obtained. Mazda UK advised to keep the 18" wheels and find a quieter tyre. They said consider Michelin tyres but some on the forum don't agree.
Geez, and I thought the UK was more progressive with cars.....because there is no damn reason safety or otherwise that should prevent anyone from changing up rims to a 16inch or 17inch for the Mazda 3. In fact here in Canada we are encouraged to downside for the winter months for increased sidewall flex(better traction in deep snow) and cheaper tires. I will be acquiring some 16inch alloys next winter for those very reasons. If I were in your shoes I would be petitioning for a law to change to allow for the change in wheel/tire size if the owner desires it.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Geez, and I thought the UK was more progressive with cars.....because there is no damn reason safety or otherwise that should prevent anyone from changing up rims to a 16inch or 17inch for the Mazda 3. In fact here in Canada we are encouraged to downside for the winter months for increased sidewall flex(better traction in deep snow) and cheaper tires. I will be acquiring some 16inch alloys next winter for those very reasons. If I were in your shoes I would be petitioning for a law to change to allow for the change in wheel/tire size if the owner desires it.
Obviously its an issue with the insurance companies. Seem like they feel that putting aftermarket stuff on cars could have dire consequences. What they mean is Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together........
If you think England is bad try doing something in Germany. You can't do anything with TUV approval.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Obviously its an issue with the insurance companies. Seem like they feel that putting aftermarket stuff on cars could have dire consequences. What they mean is Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together........
If you think England is bad try doing something in Germany. You can't do anything with TUV approval.
This is why I will never leave Canada 0:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts