2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my friends! I am interested in tuning my 3 but keeping it quiet. I'm not sure if this is viable or not. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ideally yeah but they don't make a huge difference. The intake won't be much louder anyhow, its just the exhaust thats loud.
Copy that! Good to know. So @arathol, what are the options for tuning these days? I know that the one guy who is mentioned repeatedly here doesn't make a kit but may do some on a case by case basis (or something to that effect). But are there any other options?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Following out of curiosity as to what you do. I just got a 18 hatchback 2.0 and while I'm not in to dragging down the main highway I wouldn't mind upgrading some parts to performance grade as time goes on. But I want things that can be done DIY without a garage ideally and that aren't going to cause general havoc in the rest of the system.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Following out of curiosity as to what you do. I just got a 18 hatchback 2.0 and while I'm not in to dragging down the main highway I wouldn't mind upgrading some parts to performance grade as time goes on. But I want things that can be done DIY without a garage ideally and that aren't going to cause general havoc in the rest of the system.
I've pulled engines, differentials and swapped clutches without a garage. So long as you have the tools, there are no limits.

The only mod that is worthwhile for these cars to get more power is ecu tuning. Intake doesn't do much on most cars and the exhaust is already well designed enough that there's very little room for improvement. You're not going to get performance camshafts or a turbo kit. Porting the head isn't such a great idea either from what I understand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see very little anyway in the way of engine upgrades that are available. I'll definitely upgrade the brakes when it comes time for a brake job. is it better to buy an ecu tuner or have it done at a shop?

·
Super Moderator
4,953 Posts
I see very little anyway in the way of engine upgrades that are available. I'll definitely upgrade the brakes when it comes time for a brake job. is it better to buy an ecu tuner or have it done at a shop?
Have it done by a competent professional that has experience with Mazdas...like Rafael at OVT. Tuning the SA-G engine is not as easy as it sounds. Its also far cheaper to have it done than to buy whats needed to do it yourself.
Do any bolt-on mods before you tune, they do make some difference and a bit here and there adds up, 180+ at the crank is do-able in the 2.0 if you tune for 93 octane or better.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Lighter wheels and performance tires.. EBC green stuff 2000 brake pads.. EBC RK rotors are good.. racing beat makes a great axle-back exhaust that isn't loud and adds a little performance.. AEM cold air intake (CARB legal) can also add a little.. then ECU tune.
CK

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have it done by a competent professional that has experience with Mazdas...like Rafael at OVT. Tuning the SA-G engine is not as easy as it sounds. Its also far cheaper to have it done than to buy whats needed to do it yourself.
Do any bolt-on mods before you tune, they do make some difference and a bit here and there adds up, 180+ at the crank is do-able in the 2.0 if you tune for 93 octane or better.
Yes sir, well explained in a few words! +1
With the exception of the last sentence (only because I have a different model), this is the path I am pursuing with Rafael.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lighter wheels and performance tires.. EBC green stuff 2000 brake pads.. EBC RK rotors are good.. racing beat makes a great axle-back exhaust that isn't loud and adds a little performance.. AEM cold air intake (CARB legal) can also add a little.. then ECU tune.
CK
Best back-to-back posts on this topic ever! I looked for this type of information when I first (or before) I bought my car and it was scattered on a bunch of different threads. @scblair, you basically have everything you need right here. Good luck and follow up with your progress!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
154 Posts
There are alot of options out there.
I looked and ytube and listenned to different exhausts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have people had good luck with the cold-air intakes? I've heard good & bad, like making performance worse in the summer. If I go with one I might use the CorkSport cold air box to isolate it from the rest of the engine bay

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The OEM intake is a cold air intake and is designed very well.

I did data logging with the OEM CAI, K&N 69 Typhoon CAI, and the AEM CAI.

I went with the AEM cold air intake because it offers a small performance gain over stock and because it works with the OEM snorkel to feed outside air in towards the intake.

The AEM intake also kept the intake temp closer to ambient. Not as good as OEM, but pretty close, which is probably why it is CARB legal and the K&N is not.
CK

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 21-773C AEM CAI says it isn't legal in California, so I'm guessing it isn't CARB legal. They do sell a regular box-type filter and I may go with that if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The OEM intake is a cold air intake and is designed very well.

I did data logging with the OEM CAI, K&N 69 Typhoon CAI, and the AEM CAI.

I went with the AEM cold air intake because it offers a small performance gain over stock and because it works with the OEM snorkel to feed outside air in towards the intake.

The AEM intake also kept the intake temp closer to ambient. Not as good as OEM, but pretty close, which is probably why it is CARB legal and the K&N is not.
CK
I think that's sad that one intake is carb legal and the other isn't. I'm all for cars being more environmentally friendly, but we all know that small difference equates to sweet F all

·
Super Moderator
4,953 Posts
I think that's sad that one intake is carb legal and the other isn't. I'm all for cars being more environmentally friendly, but we all know that small difference equates to sweet F all
According to the manufacturers, neither the K&N Typhoon or the AEM 21-773C are CARB certified.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It's CARB legal for the Mazda 6 2.5L. Same engine, they just haven't tested it on a 3 with the 2.5L or 2L engine.
CK

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts