2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How USB flash drive music works on the Mazda Infotainment system
(Some of the scant information available compiled from use, a Windows forum, here, there.)

Flash (apparently) must be FAT32 formatted. (Maybe because the software is Linux-based? I'm a lont-time Win hacker, but a recent newbie with Linux.)

My 8G flash, 97% full, worked find on ver. 51 and 55 of my 2016 CX-5. I tested a 32G, with about 6G on it, and it too seemed to work normally. (Didn’t have the patience to copy 10 or 20G just to test.)

File structure for “folders” option on Mazda selector software appears in the order in which the files/folders were added to the flash drive. For example, a folder/album entitled “AAArdvark,” as the most-recently added album to the Mazda’s flash drive, would appear at the end of the otherwise alphabetical folder listing (assuming the prior folders were copied in alpha order) because it’s the last one on the flash.

To copy files in a Windows-sorted order, select all the folders/files/album and drag them to the Mazda flash folder WITH THE CURSOR ARROW ON THE VERY FIRST ITEM OF THE GROUP. In that way, the group will be copied in the same order as the original copy window. (If you have 50 items selected, but drag the group over with the cursor arrow above item 28, It will copy 28-50 first, then go back and do 1-27.)

Again, within folders, songs will appear on the Mazda software in the same order in which they were copied to the flash. If you want some other order in a folder/album, sort them in Windows before dragging them, BY THE FIRST FILE, over to the new folder in the flash drive files window.

Put a favorite, or at least minimally-irritating song, to come up as the default if the system re-boots, or the player re-starts, or whatever sends the playback to default. To do that, COPY THAT SONG FIRST onto the empty USB flash that’s already been formatted FAT32. (I have a favorite song first, but I also left the normal copy in its usual place in its album/folder.) If the player doesn’t hold its place between car starts or input switching or whatever, it will default to that first song written to the flash drive.

>> Happy to hear of any other hints and tips!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good stuff, especially regarding list order and copying. Thanks!

Anyone know if there is a way to rename the USB device name? I assume that's built into some kind of ROM on the USB - I believe mine says "CRUZER" or something like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ElNino77,

Sorry for the late reply. Been out of town.

You can re-name the USB flashdrive to pretty much whatever, with limited characters, when you have it open in File Explorer (or the like). When you're copying your music, or one that already has music on it, one of the properties you can change is the name. Without going to the car, I don't remember what the Infotainment system says, other then (USB1 something or USB 2 - on my 2016 CX-5). But the "CRUZER" that you're seeing is from the flash manufacturer - that's somebody's brand name, so that you can change when you're accessing it with your computer's file manager.

DazeYaVoo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just finished a 6,000-mile road trip with my 2016 CX-5 and infotainment. Here's some things I noted/questioned/tried.

32G USB 3.0 Flashdrive: This had 14 audio books on it. They're great for making the miles go by on a road trip! Worked fine, copying over using the rules listed in my first post on this. Very important to copy books in chronological order, for obvious reasons. Had no serious problems on the trip.

One nagging problem: Most music files have a lead-in and lead-out of a moment of silence. Audio files do not necessarily have this, apparently. It became noticeable because some recorded books played fine except that every track was slightly truncated at the end, before the next track. So I would hear, "... was slightly truncated at the end, before th" and out. The last few words or two seconds or whatever of that track's paragraph was dropped.

One irritating problem: The USB sticks play right on whether the sound is muted or not. For instance, if I turn off (mute) the sound of music/audio so that I can clearly hear a complicated nav guidance, when I hit the open road again and turn the sound back on, the player has actually tracked/played the whole time I had it muted. In an audio book, I've missed a whole chapter or whatever. If I'm driving in the quiet, the infotainment is blithely playing the book on like someone is listening.

A test that failed: On this long trip, I had an 8G music stick, a 32G recorded books stick and a Samsung GS3 that needed occasional charging. I tried using a multi-USB jack in one of the Mazda's USB ports, with the audio stick and the charger cable plugged in. The other main port had the music stick. The music stick worked, as normally. The multi-USB worked providing power to the phone, but the audio book stick was not recognized by the infotainment system.

In spite of the three thing listed, this giant road trip was a hell of a lot better than before I had a car with ANY USB ports!

Happy to hear any thoughts/experiences about the three problems!

Best,
MazdaVoo

·
Registered
3 Posts
How to use MP3 tags for sort order

Is there any way to, within a folder, sort by the mp3 track listing tag?

I mean really, listening to songs in alphabetical order?

Yah, the infotainment system is great, but in so many ways my circa 2004 phatbox was better for playing music!

·
Registered
2 Posts
As was already stated, the usb memory is on a fat32 file system. Technically the file order is the order that the files are entered into the file table, so you know fat32 is an adaptation of the original fat filesystem by Microsoft for floppy disks back in the 80s. ( I might be wrong about fat being developed by MS, but that is the era that it was developed for.)

Knowing this there are advantages and disadvantages, but which is which depends on what you are trying to do.

The order of files are not sorted, therefore the order you put the files on your usb, is the order you get. But unfortunately, if you delete a file and then add another, the new files place in the list is where the old file was removed (now isn't that fun!)

So, if you don't mind you songs being in a random order and often use shuffle, the order you place the files on the usb dosen't matter. But if you prefer everything in a particular order then you have to place them in the order you want, but if you need to add a file later, you may have to clear the whole folder and copy all the files again to maintain them in the correct order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fix USB Track Order - DriveSort

Repost from a previous post of mine that seems badly linked:

The usb writes files in whatever order it feels like, and the Mazda reads them in that garbled order (not like when you view the usb files on your computer, which re-orders them to alphanumeric or date order or whatever order you choose to view them). I do not think there is a way to make the Mazda sound system read the files in any order other than what the usb placed them.

BUT - I found this freeware utility to be a great help:

Anerty's Lair - DriveSort

DriveSort reorders the files on the drive, so they are read in the order you want.

settings I use: LFN sort/ascending order/include subfolders

The drawback being that you'd need to re-run DriveSort every time you add files, but not that big a deal, you're at the computer already, and the utility runs very fast. Made all the difference in my music library (some 600 albums on a 62Gb usb - btw, splitting them into separate folders seems to speed up bootup time: A-E, F-J, K-O, etc)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Strange

Maybe someone else can post the actual link to Drive Sort - evidently I am not allowed to because I haven't written enough posts yet...?

·
Registered
18 Posts
How USB flash drive music works on the Mazda Infotainment system
(Some of the scant information available compiled from use, a Windows forum, here, there.)

Flash (apparently) must be FAT32 formatted. (Maybe because the software is Linux-based? I'm a lont-time Win hacker, but a recent newbie with Linux.)

My 8G flash, 97% full, worked find on ver. 51 and 55 of my 2016 CX-5. I tested a 32G, with about 6G on it, and it too seemed to work normally. (Didn’t have the patience to copy 10 or 20G just to test.)

File structure for “folders” option on Mazda selector software appears in the order in which the files/folders were added to the flash drive. For example, a folder/album entitled “AAArdvark,” as the most-recently added album to the Mazda’s flash drive, would appear at the end of the otherwise alphabetical folder listing (assuming the prior folders were copied in alpha order) because it’s the last one on the flash.

To copy files in a Windows-sorted order, select all the folders/files/album and drag them to the Mazda flash folder WITH THE CURSOR ARROW ON THE VERY FIRST ITEM OF THE GROUP. In that way, the group will be copied in the same order as the original copy window. (If you have 50 items selected, but drag the group over with the cursor arrow above item 28, It will copy 28-50 first, then go back and do 1-27.)

Again, within folders, songs will appear on the Mazda software in the same order in which they were copied to the flash. If you want some other order in a folder/album, sort them in Windows before dragging them, BY THE FIRST FILE, over to the new folder in the flash drive files window.

Put a favorite, or at least minimally-irritating song, to come up as the default if the system re-boots, or the player re-starts, or whatever sends the playback to default. To do that, COPY THAT SONG FIRST onto the empty USB flash that’s already been formatted FAT32. (I have a favorite song first, but I also left the normal copy in its usual place in its album/folder.) If the player doesn’t hold its place between car starts or input switching or whatever, it will default to that first song written to the flash drive.

>> Happy to hear of any other hints and tips!
Thanks good advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts