2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the PAC-AOEM1 and ran RCA wires to my mono Phoenix gold xenon 600.1 amp.

From the PAC , I used two Y splitters, I connected one Y splitter to the Front Left and Right channel, as well as another Y splitter to the Rear Left and Right channels. Did I do this right? I am now second guessing myself and think that I should have connected the
Front Left and Rear left together, as well as the Front right and rear right channels instead.

The reason why I did this is to increase the voltage output to my amp so I don't have to set the gains as high.

Maybe this is why my bottom end sounds a little out of phase? Please help me audio gurus =)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Nevermind, I found the answer searching in another forum:

"A y-cable should NOT be used to connect 2 outputs from a head unit, EQ, or other device. It cannot be used to mix 2 signals together to provide a single non-fading output. If 2 outputs are connected together (via a y-cable) and they don't match EXACTLY, one output will be trying to drive the other to match itself. This will likely not damage anything but WILL likely cause the output signal to be distorted."

Also to further clarify, "some branch off the L and R pre outs with a "Y" cable for left and one for right. One end of each "Y" loops back around to the respective main in, the other branches go to L and R inputs on the sub. This application is fine. It is the application where the L & R pre outs are simply Y'ed together in attempt to create a single summed output where trouble is begotten with the whole system losing channel separation. "

I guess I'll go home and rewire it after work :walkman:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I rewired everything when I got home and there really was no difference :argh 1: . The low end bass still could not be heard very well unless I tilt my head forward towards the windshield.

I will play around a little more with subwoofer positioning in my trunk but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the acoustics in my sedan just isn't that great.

I used to have an SUV and the low end bass used to make me shed a tear everytime it hit ...I should have opted for the hatch :argh 1::argh 1::argh 1::argh 1::argh 1:

any ideas you guys can help me with?

·
Registered
50 Posts
you can only use y cables to create more signals. you should never try and use them to combine/reduce the number of signals.
if you do use them to split the signal, you run the risk of disproportionately splitting the current.

if you have no bass, try switching speaker polarity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts