2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I drive in the GTA/Toronto area in Southern Ontario, and since my last oil change which was in August, I have driven 8000 KM in 2 months and 3 weeks when I normally make it to 4 months first before mileage.

Is it really necessary for me to get my oil change now, or would it be fine to wait an additional 5 weeks and get it in December when I was originally scheduled to get it.

Also, I've heard that with synthetic oil, such as the type used in our cars, can run cleaner, longer compared to conventional oil if that's the term used. Is that the case? If so, then why are we required to get oil changes approximately 3x/year, when other synthetic oil based cars require oil changes 1-2x/year instead.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You aren't required to change it 3x/year but you can. Most dealerships will recommend it in order to make money. With synthetic oil you can change it out at 12000 KM which is around 7500 miles or even further.

However, if you really want to maximize your oil then get a used oil analysis (UOA).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So would it be a safe bet to get it done every 10K-12K then instead of 8K? Because that's what I've been doing, but I rather not.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, its safe to go up to 12k, but if you prefer to keep it at 8k then thats fine too. So if you go over the 8k range its still safe.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, its safe to go up to 12k, but if you prefer to keep it at 8k then thats fine too. So if you go over the 8k range its still safe.
Thanks so much. If anyone else can pitch in to verify this or provide additional information, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
let's stop and consider what is important here guys. Save a few dollars on oil changes or protect your warranty? I'm going with warranty. I'm running on the assumption that the car still has warranty here.

Open your owners manual. It has these answers and more. For Canadian residents, your change interval is 8k kms. Yes there is a separate schedule for us. I live in Peterborough so I feel your pain. There is no flexible oil change interval option for us either, as the manual appears to read.

Your warranty clearly states that the maintenance schedule must be followed to retain your warranty. It's up to you if you want to gamble with that or not.

Oil types are also in the owners manual. Crack it open when you have some time, some of the information is very helpful with maintenance concerns.

So technically yes you can go beyond 8k.I would not for warranty right now. Suck it up until warranty is up.

Another option: change your own oil if you are so inclined. Warranty documents clearly state that you can do this so long as it's well documented with receipts. I go as far to video tape it with my cell phone so there is no question in the quality of work. Of course your warranty is void if you screw it up... Like try to start the engine with no oil in it lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
The car can definitely do 20k before oil change. At least that's the rule here in Denmark. My fist oil change was done at 19750 km
I would though, go with the user manual. I don't know why there are so huge differences around the requirements in different countries.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The car can definitely do 20k before oil change. At least that's the rule here in Denmark. My fist oil change was done at 19750 km
I would though, go with the user manual. I don't know why there are so huge differences around the requirements in different countries.
Little bit of different fuel, climates, road conditions and a very large helping of 'because they can' I suspect.

The fact that I'm running full synthetic and changing it every 8k kms is nothing short of ridiculous. But, that's the warranty requirements.

I'll be changing the numbers significantly once she's off warranty... So that's 4 years and 7 months to go.... Crap.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi everyone,

I drive in the GTA/Toronto area in Southern Ontario, and since my last oil change which was in August, I have driven 8000 KM in 2 months and 3 weeks when I normally make it to 4 months first before mileage.

Is it really necessary for me to get my oil change now, or would it be fine to wait an additional 5 weeks and get it in December when I was originally scheduled to get it.

Also, I've heard that with synthetic oil, such as the type used in our cars, can run cleaner, longer compared to conventional oil if that's the term used. Is that the case? If so, then why are we required to get oil changes approximately 3x/year, when other synthetic oil based cars require oil changes 1-2x/year instead.
Do it at 8000km or you risk Voiding your warranty...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mazda specifies the maintenance schedule they want you to follow in the Owners Manual. Under chapter 6 (Maintenance and Care) of my 2014 manual, Mazda specifies that Canadian owners should follow Maintenance Schedule 2. Mazda only "offers" the flexible maintenance schedule for USA and Puerto Rico residences meaning that Canadian owners must use the fixed scheduled.

So looking at the Fixed Schedule 2 table in the owner manual, Mazda specifies that you replace your engine oil every 8,000km or every 4 months which ever comes first.

Hi everyone,

·
Tiny Member
245 Posts
I'm sticking with 7,500 mile change intervals until the powertrain warranty is up, then switching to 10,000. Better to be safe than sorry for now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Weather in Danemark and in Canada are quite similar, so the question is why in Europe they can go up to 20 000 before oil change and not in Canada. My previous Honda had flexible maintenance I did 12000 km before oil change, this extreme weather maintenance vs flexible has no logical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts