2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 852 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts

hatchback owners: does anyone know what this plastic shit is and if i can take it off? (back doors. and yeah, i know i gotta wash my car)
I HATE THOSE!!!!!!

I have them too, but I don't have the courage to try and remove them.

The only reason I can think they are there is if the door got out of alignment and hits the edge while it closes. But you would have more to worry about than chipped paint if the door is miss aligned.

·
Registered
95 Posts
another question, the other day i was thinking... the way our shifting stick is set up (automatic), Up being "-" and down being "+" , and over the "D" you see N and R , so for example, lets say you think you were in "manual" mode, and something runs in the way but you are in "D" and accidentally try to shift down the gear and break, and you end out shifting from D-N-R , would this mess up you car ?, just wondering, since you are actually slowing down, and once you get to a certain velocity the gears might be abble to engage wouldnt they ? im sure there is some sort of mechanism but can anyone explain ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I HATE THOSE!!!!!!

I have them too, but I don't have the courage to try and remove them.

The only reason I can think they are there is if the door got out of alignment and hits the edge while it closes. But you would have more to worry about than chipped paint if the door is miss aligned.
I am pretty sure it is like 3M protective mask stuff ( Paint Protection and 3M Clear Bra for your vehicle. Also known as Rock Guard. )

And it is there on your rear wheel arch entries into the car to keep stuff from scratching the paint. I have it on the mirrors (the painted side) of my Lexus RX. I know on my Protege, the area in the door jamb by the seat is all marked up, from putting a laptop bag in and out.

The wife took the 3 Sedan, so I have not checked if I have it or not.

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
another question, the other day i was thinking... the way our shifting stick is set up (automatic), Up being "-" and down being "+" , and over the "D" you see N and R , so for example, lets say you think you were in "manual" mode, and something runs in the way but you are in "D" and accidentally try to shift down the gear and break, and you end out shifting from D-N-R , would this mess up you car ?, just wondering, since you are actually slowing down, and once you get to a certain velocity the gears might be abble to engage wouldnt they ? im sure there is some sort of mechanism but can anyone explain ?
shifting into neutral wouldn't hurt, but I'm pretty sure if you were able to get into reverse at speed (highly unlikely, there's typically some sort of lockout) you'd cause some pretty catastrophic tranny damage.

funny story, when i first got my pontiac (3 spd auto) it was having trouble kicking down at WOT, so I would have to drop it into 2nd manually. one day I shifted it a little too hard and threw it into 1st around 50 mph. motor developed a nasty clacking and once i pulled it I found all sorts of metal chunks in the crankcase. :yes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
shifting into neutral wouldn't hurt, but I'm pretty sure if you were able to get into reverse at speed (highly unlikely, there's typically some sort of lockout) you'd cause some pretty catastrophic tranny damage.

funny story, when i first got my pontiac (3 spd auto) it was having trouble kicking down at WOT, so I would have to drop it into 2nd manually. one day I shifted it a little too hard and threw it into 1st around 50 mph. motor developed a nasty clacking and once i pulled it I found all sorts of metal chunks in the crankcase. :yes:
Thats too bad, one day my brother mooved the stick from D to N ( and i pushed it by mistake up to R ) on my 1998 volvo V70 at around 30mph and nothing happened... it was like the car was neutral... but ... dont try this at home kids...

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Why don't you do your own service :tongue:

Because I have the extended warranty (6 years) and they are adamant about documented service work and until just recently I traveled about 300+ days a year in my job so servicing my vehicles was not something I cared to do on my precious days off...

I'd love to do the work if I: 1) could afford a FSM and 2) could perform the work to the satisfaction of the warranty folks in case something breaks....I haven't investigated what would be involved in satisfying their requirements.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After looking things up, it sounds like it could happen if there is not a lock out. Thought I should get rid of my wrong answer, so nobody believes it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mythbusters tried this in a few cars. Every attempt, the worst they could do was grind the gears a little. It wouldn't actually go into gear. Not the sort of thing you want to make a habit of, but at the speeds they're turning, there's no way to force the gears to engage. Worst that would happen is you'd feel a little silly.
:argh 1: i hate feeling silly hehehehe

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mythbusters tried this in a few cars. Every attempt, the worst they could do was grind the gears a little. It wouldn't actually go into gear. Not the sort of thing you want to make a habit of, but at the speeds they're turning, there's no way to force the gears to engage. Worst that would happen is you'd feel a little silly.
Actually, Mythbusters had an episode where they were trying to see if a broken driveshaft landing in a pot-hole could flip a car.

They found out that their ford fairmont would go into reverse even when going forward at 35 MPH. They tried to use this to snap a weakend U-Joint, but couldn't get it break at the right time - so they made the yoke thread onto the U-Joint.

Dumping the car into Reverse while going forward got the engine to run backwards, unscrew the driveshaft and drop it into the big pothole - so you can get some cars to go into Reverse From Drive - it normally locks up the wheels.

Oh, and the front of the driveshaft dropped, hit the pothole caused the back end of the car to jump about 3 feet off the ground (not flip as in the myth); and the driveshaft punctured the trunk. :clap:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this car might have been a 3 speed manual - 3 on the tree. So never mind, but enjoy the story.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts

hatchback owners: does anyone know what this plastic shit is and if i can take it off? (back doors. and yeah, i know i gotta wash my car)
Its to prevent rock chipping on the corner of the body panel. Most new cars have it somewhere where rocks commonly hit the paint to protect it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Actually, Mythbusters had an episode where they were trying to see if a broken driveshaft landing in a pot-hole could flip a car.

They found out that their ford fairmont would go into reverse even when going forward at 35 MPH. They tried to use this to snap a weakend U-Joint, but couldn't get it break at the right time - so they made the yoke thread onto the U-Joint.

Dumping the car into Reverse while going forward got the engine to run backwards, unscrew the driveshaft and drop it into the big pothole - so you can get some cars to go into Reverse From Drive - it normally locks up the wheels.

Oh, and the front of the driveshaft dropped, hit the pothole caused the back end of the car to jump about 3 feet off the ground (not flip as in the myth); and the driveshaft punctured the trunk. :clap:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this car might have been a 3 speed manual - 3 on the tree. So never mind, but enjoy the story.
Seems I was wrong, & you can on an auto if there's not a lockout. My bad.

They did a different one where they tried to stop a car by throwing it in reverse as well, though based on this description I only caught the half of it with a manual: MythBusters Episode 84: Viewers’ Choice Special. That's the one I was referring to.

I did have a friend who Autocrossed in a Celica GT-S, & mistakenly downshifted to reverse a few times with me in the car. All it did was grind. It never engaged. This was a manual though, so different situation.

·
1,272 Posts
I did have a friend who Autocrossed in a Celica GT-S, & mistakenly downshifted to reverse a few times with me in the car. All it did was grind. It never engaged.
Was your friends car a manual? The discussion above is talking about automatics. With a manual, it is physically impossible to engage reverse while moving forward, thus the reason it grinds. The grinding is the "dog teeth" on the collar trying to force themselves into the gear.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
What's a decent price to sell the stock GT trim wheels for? No TPMS/10k miles on the tires, no scrapes or curbing. I think only one very small rock chip on one of them.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The Mazda dealership wants $500 for each of them without tires or TPMS. I inquired when I bent two of my rims last month.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Was your friends car a manual? The discussion above is talking about automatics. With a manual, it is physically impossible to engage reverse while moving forward, thus the reason it grinds. The grinding is the "dog teeth" on the collar trying to force themselves into the gear.
Yes, the car in question was a manual, and after researching & feeling stupid, it makes sense. I don't think I realized that all the gears are engaged by clutches & bands in an automatic. Sounds like you could engage reverse if there's not a lockout. Sounds like it would wear clutch plates. Anyone with a totaled 3 want to test it?

21 - 40 of 852 Posts