2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would suggest going onto Youtube and looking at a series of videos uploaded by Mazda Australia. Each one makes a good description of the features and functions of the i-Activsense features.

SCBS (City braking), laser based system works up to 30km/h and can only be deactivated by switching off DSC. The Forward Obstruction Warning works similarly at higher speeds (radar-based) but obviously cannot be expected to bring the vehicle to a halt from say, 80km/h.

I don't think many of these items are controlled through the MZD Connect system, rather simply switched on/off via the buttons on the dash and steering wheel. For instance, ACC (Active cruise) distance is set solely via the steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I do like the Lane departure warning. I do wish the Smart city break support worked at higher speeds. Beside that I love the 3TE tech package.
Well, the City Brake Support systems aren't designed to operate above 30-40km/h because at those speeds it is much harder to stop a vehicle before a collision. The purpose of City Braking assistants are to recognise near objects and mitigate a collision.

The Forward Obstruction Warning (radar-dependent) will also apply the brakes if a collision is imminent but the purpose is to reduce impact and damage, not to necessarily be able to stop a vehicle altogether because obviously, higher speeds mean longer braking distances and these systems only act within a limited range so as not to take away control from the driver.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does Mazda Radar Cruise Control just let off the gas, or does it actively apply the brakes if closing too fast? Does any system apply positive braking action above 18 mph?

And yes, I'm talking about the tech package on the s GT. I'm picking up a 2015 s GT, auto, red/almond soon.
It will apply the brakes if speed differential is too great to coast alone. It will also apply the brakes to maintain speed down gradients so the vehicle does not exceed the set speed by too much. The system will also let off the throttle and/or selectively apply brakes if you try to go around a corner at a higher speed, although I feel this calibration is a bit too aggressive versus the Dynamic Cruise control from BMW (10 years ago...).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.