2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am planning to get this car soon, I wanted to make sure of the features, my dealer seems clueless about the active safety features in the car

In the demo car, under the safety settings I can see the following
- Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS)
- Smart Brake Support (not to be confused with Smart City Brake Support)

and some other settings I cant remember now.

I have an on/off button named (RVM: Rear Vehicle Monitor on the lower left from the steering wheel, no settings for it in the MZD Connect, I assume this is the Blind Spot Monitoring System) also there is an on/off button for the "Lane Departure Warning"

And I have the adaptive cruise control buttons on the steering wheel (also no settings for it in the Connect system)

Btw, the system version is v28

I can see the camera / laser port behind the mirror and also the Mazda logo background is fully solid black so I assume that is where the radar is installed

When I asked the dealer about the features, he said that it has collision warning, and Smart City Brake Support (brakes in low speed) however the thing I am confused about is that there is no settings for the Smart City Brake Support, only for Smart Brake Support (which is radar based braking system for high speeds) and under it there there are settings for warning distance (near / medium / far) and some other settings.

So for the owners of the tech package, can you share what is under the "Safety Settings" ? and what are the sub-menus you have? do you have Smart City Brake Support and / or Smart Brake Support? are they the same? (I have read that they are not the same!) and what about the Mazda Radar Cruise Control, do you have a setting for this under the "Safety Settings" in the MZD Connect or only in the steering wheel ?

Cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would suggest going onto Youtube and looking at a series of videos uploaded by Mazda Australia. Each one makes a good description of the features and functions of the i-Activsense features.

SCBS (City braking), laser based system works up to 30km/h and can only be deactivated by switching off DSC. The Forward Obstruction Warning works similarly at higher speeds (radar-based) but obviously cannot be expected to bring the vehicle to a halt from say, 80km/h.

I don't think many of these items are controlled through the MZD Connect system, rather simply switched on/off via the buttons on the dash and steering wheel. For instance, ACC (Active cruise) distance is set solely via the steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, I have looked at the videos but they don't show exactly the mzd connect safety settings, I have requested the dealer to provide me with official specs from Mazda as he appears not very knowledgeable about the subject, he keeps telling me that there is only cruise control and no adaptive cruise control although I can see clearly the buttons of the adaptive cruise, the set + and - and the distance up and down and below 2 buttons on and off. Guess easiest way for this is to test drive and try it out. It sucks to have a dealer not knowledgeable about the product, how do they sale stuff they don't understand is beyond me

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just so you know, the lane departure warning signal has been a common complaint on this board.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The features of the TECH package are different in the USA vs. Canada. The TECH package in Canada doesn't include FOW, Radar cruise control, TPMS, other to that, everything else is the same. With respect to SCBS - It's "Smart City Break Support", so anything under 40KM/hour the car will apply the breaks to "avoid" a collision if your foots off the gas pedal - which I've experienced a few times leaving a parking garage when the gate arm opens up my cars come to a halt, so annoying, LOL and it says "Smart City Break Support Activated" on the heads up display along with a flashing red light on the dash.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I do like the Lane departure warning. I do wish the Smart city break support worked at higher speeds. Beside that I love the 3TE tech package.
Well, the City Brake Support systems aren't designed to operate above 30-40km/h because at those speeds it is much harder to stop a vehicle before a collision. The purpose of City Braking assistants are to recognise near objects and mitigate a collision.

The Forward Obstruction Warning (radar-dependent) will also apply the brakes if a collision is imminent but the purpose is to reduce impact and damage, not to necessarily be able to stop a vehicle altogether because obviously, higher speeds mean longer braking distances and these systems only act within a limited range so as not to take away control from the driver.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After long research I think you guys are confusing scbs (which is short range) with sbs (smart brake support) which is mid to long range using milli radar or whatever they call it, fow is just a warning and it doesn't apply the brakes, sbs is what applies the brakes from 15kmh to 145kmh. The scbs only works from 0 to 30kmh

It's confusing, a lot of terminologies and it's different from region to region and the dealers ignorance of the exact details of the tech packages doesn't help either.

Rear Vehicle Monitor (rvm) is exactly the same as Blind spot monitoring (bsm) why the hell do you name it differently in different regions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smart Brake Support?

After long research I think you guys are confusing scbs (which is short range) with sbs (smart brake support) which is mid to long range using milli radar or whatever they call it, fow is just a warning and it doesn't apply the brakes, sbs is what applies the brakes from 15kmh to 145kmh. The scbs only works from 0 to 30kmh

It's confusing, a lot of terminologies and it's different from region to region and the dealers ignorance of the exact details of the tech packages doesn't help either.

Rear Vehicle Monitor (rvm) is exactly the same as Blind spot monitoring (bsm) why the hell do you name it differently in different regions?
Does USA Mazda3 (with tech package, of course) have Smart Brake Support (as opposed to Smart City Brake Support)? I can't find anything in materials or otherwise about this. According to the brochure, Smart City Brake Support will apply brakes between 2 mph and 18 mph. I've read about Forward Obstruction Warning (which is warning only, no brakes). Does Mazda Radar Cruise Control just let off the gas, or does it actively apply the brakes if closing too fast? Does any system apply positive braking action above 18 mph?

And yes, I'm talking about the tech package on the s GT. I'm picking up a 2015 s GT, auto, red/almond soon.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does Mazda Radar Cruise Control just let off the gas, or does it actively apply the brakes if closing too fast? Does any system apply positive braking action above 18 mph?

And yes, I'm talking about the tech package on the s GT. I'm picking up a 2015 s GT, auto, red/almond soon.
It will apply the brakes if speed differential is too great to coast alone. It will also apply the brakes to maintain speed down gradients so the vehicle does not exceed the set speed by too much. The system will also let off the throttle and/or selectively apply brakes if you try to go around a corner at a higher speed, although I feel this calibration is a bit too aggressive versus the Dynamic Cruise control from BMW (10 years ago...).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does USA Mazda3 (with tech package, of course) have Smart Brake Support (as opposed to Smart City Brake Support)? I can't find anything in materials or otherwise about this. According to the brochure, Smart City Brake Support will apply brakes between 2 mph and 18 mph. I've read about Forward Obstruction Warning (which is warning only, no brakes). Does Mazda Radar Cruise Control just let off the gas, or does it actively apply the brakes if closing too fast? Does any system apply positive braking action above 18 mph?

I've only had the car for a few days but I did test this out.

Does Mazda Radar Cruise Control just let off the gas, or does it actively apply the brakes if closing too fast? Does any system apply positive braking action above 18 mph?

I set the Cruise Control to 70, and had the range to far (close, medium, far). As I was hitting traffic, the car let off on the throttle+brake or down-shift (this part I'm un-sure) AND when the speed hit around 20 (I don't remember the number, just remember it was slow) the Cruise Control shut itself off, beeped and I had to apply the brakes to fully stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.