2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new to this forum, but had some questions that I’ve been trying to research and I feel like I might as well ask on here. So I am looking to buy a 2010 Mazda 3 2.0 5 speed manual with 104,000 miles for school travel. So first off the over all appearance is decent.The paint on the roof and hood is a faded and oxidized but I feel like I can make it look a lot better with a good buff and polish so not too terribly concerned, the interior is okay. General bit of wear and tear although it is an 11 year old car. Under the hood is a little dusty and dirty. The car drives very well and doesn’t sound off in any way. But the check engine light is on for an O2 sensor as well as ABS and traction control warning light. Are the warning lights for ABS and Traction control of any concern? Or are these just stemming from an ABS sensor gone bad? Over all he is asking 3500 for the car. Is this a pretty good over all price for the car? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
125 Posts
That sounds like a very good deal in today's used car market, but let's be sure it's a deal. Clean title? Have you paid for a CarFax (I know they're of limited value, but it's better than nothing) to see if it's had any accidents?

How do you know it's got the money light on just for the O2? Did you scan it yourself, or is that based on the seller's word? Also, have the codes been cleared recently? That's a trick sellers use to hide problems that take a drive cycle to show up.

It's likely that the ABS/TC lights are just a sensor, but it could be other stuff.

I think that Blue Book for that should be somewhere around $5-6k. So, you have to ask yourself why someone would sell a $5500 car for $3.5k that needs $500 in work? My spidey-senses are tingling. It's possible the seller just doesn't want to bother with fixing it, but I'd dig into it a bit more. Ask to have a mechanic inspect the car and review the codes and when they were last cleared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes clean title, I found it on Facebook listed for 4K. Come to find out during the texts discussing the meet up time and everything we figured out we work at the same hospital. So right there he knows we work in close proximity and see each other from time to time. I feel like if I was selling a time bomb to someone it would be to someone that I will never see again. So that gives me some confidence.

Once we got done driving I asked about the light and he brought out his scanner and showed only one code popped up and that it was an O2 sensor.

He also states that he bought this car brand new and has been the only owner. I feel this would be a good use of a carfax report to justify this.

Anyways all and all if the owner is being completely truthful.. and taking what you said above. It does sound like a pretty decent deal.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
125 Posts
I'd have to agree that it's probably a solid deal and he's probably honest about the code. But I'd still want to have someone look the car over and verify that the codes haven't been cleared recently to hide something more serious.

·
Registered
2020 CX-5 GT 2.5L non-turbo
14 Posts
Do you live in the rust belt?

·
Registered
2020 CX-5 GT 2.5L non-turbo
14 Posts
With no rust on this vehicle, it sounds like a good deal for you. I had to replace a bad downstream O2 sensor on my daughter's 2011 3i, and can say that neither O2 is a difficult job - probably around $200 if you don't DIY. AFA the ABS/TC, have a shop scan for ABS codes. Virtually every good shop will have a more advanced scan tool, which is capable of reading that system. Hopefully the specific code(s) will point to the exact problem, and thereby provide a good estimate of how much it would cost to fix the issue.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
740 Posts
Same issues popping with my 2010 ...O2 sensors to be replaced

Also ..at 100K miles the following would have to been replaced or due to be:
Serpentine belt
Spark plugs
Radiator flush
Brake Fluid (possibly triggering ABS)
Intake solenoids (change when code is triggered)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts