2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed the text, email and 'connected' apps are greyed out in the menu screen. Do these not currently work or are they only compatible with certain phones. Granted I have an older phone, Samsung Galaxy ii, but I was really looking forward to getting my texts and emails and being able to access the 'connected' apps like weather and online traffic.

Anyone able to successfully connect to these?

Also, what is the point of the wifi? I mean I guess you can make your phone a hotspot then it lets you do certain things? Or is it more for if you are at starbucks or something in your car and can connect to their wifi? Just curious what extra things I can access :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Connected services are not available in north america because of some bull#@*! licencing thing. It is the only reason for the wifi (turn your phone into a hotspot) to get local search and traffic / weather / fuel prices. I'm trying to figure out how to hack this to work, now that we've gotten into the OS (see the infotainment project thread)

Your texts should work. Email is temperamental and works on some phones and not others. There's a website out there somewhere where you can put in your phone model and it'll tell you what features are available.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connected services are not available in north america because of some bull#@*! licencing thing. It is the only reason for the wifi (turn your phone into a hotspot) to get local search and traffic / weather / fuel prices. I'm trying to figure out how to hack this to work, now that we've gotten into the OS (see the infotainment project thread)

Your texts should work. Email is temperamental and works on some phones and not others. There's a website out there somewhere where you can put in your phone model and it'll tell you what features are available.
Thanks for the info! Good (bad?) to know about the connected stuff. Sucks. Hopefully this might get worked out later. As far as texts/email goes, I have them checked in settings but have no clue how it works and remember something being greyed out that I couldn't click on. Guess I'll have to research this further...

·
Registered
476 Posts
So I noticed the text, email and 'connected' apps are greyed out in the menu screen. Do these not currently work or are they only compatible with certain phones. Granted I have an older phone, Samsung Galaxy ii, but I was really looking forward to getting my texts and emails and being able to access the 'connected' apps like weather and online traffic.
Mazda's website lists phone models and carriers with what functions will, and will not, work. Connected Services is gone in North America.:angry 1:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mazda's website lists phone models and carriers with what functions will, and will not, work. Connected Services is gone in North America.:angry 1:
Where is this on the site? I'm having trouble finding it! :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here you go, this should help:

Link
Ok, thanks. I checked it out and my carrier/phone isn't listed, so maybe that is the issue. I am on Virgin Mobile with a Samsung Galaxy ii. Basically when I'm connected to my car via bluetooth and go into the Communications settings, both 'Notifications' and 'Text Messages' are greyed out. However, I am able to click the check boxes telling it to send notifications, etc. via text message and email. So confused lol.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ok, thanks. I checked it out and my carrier/phone isn't listed, so maybe that is the issue. I am on Virgin Mobile with a Samsung Galaxy ii. Basically when I'm connected to my car via bluetooth and go into the Communications settings, both 'Notifications' and 'Text Messages' are greyed out. However, I am able to click the check boxes telling it to send notifications, etc. via text message and email. So confused lol.
Yeah, that's a little quirk in the software. I'm on Verizon and cannot receive emails. My email is greyed out in communications, but I can go into settings and check off email notifications. Even though email is checked off, I still can't receive emails. If the car and phone are paired correctly, then anything that is greyed out under communication won't work. Whether it's checked off in the settings area, or not.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's a little quirk in the software. I'm on Verizon and cannot receive emails. My email is greyed out in communications, but I can go into settings and check off email notifications. Even though email is checked off, I still can't receive emails. If the car and phone are paired correctly, then anything that is greyed out under communication won't work. Whether it's checked off in the settings area, or not.
Oh well, maybe it'll work when I get a new phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts