2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now I am looking at the K&N CAI as one of several mods I plan on doing this year, but while researching different CAIs/SRIs, I learned a bit about the oiled filters used on CAIs. Most trouble (getting oil on sensors and causing a CEL) seems to take place after a cleaning and re-oiling of a filter. My question is, can I put a dry type filter from another manufacturer onto a K&N CAI and still have it function as well as it would with its "stock" oiled filter? Has anybody done this? Thanks!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
So right now I am looking at the K&N CAI as one of several mods I plan on doing this year, but while researching different CAIs/SRIs, I learned a bit about the oiled filters used on CAIs. Most trouble (getting oil on sensors and causing a CEL) seems to take place after a cleaning and re-oiling of a filter. My question is, can I put a dry type filter from another manufacturer onto a K&N CAI and still have it function as well as it would with its "stock" oiled filter? Has anybody done this? Thanks!
Over re-oiling is the only issue. Paper filters aren't as good for air flow- eg stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts