2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the nav SD card and updated the maps last night. I did the back up first, then the update. I left the update to put kids to bed and came back a few hours later (update was slow). When I got back it was complete but it said it completed with errors. I had the details window open that was showing the packages being downloaded and installed during the install. There was a checkbox to "show only errors" so I checked that to see the errors and there was nothing there.

Initially, in the Mazda Toolbox, the card showed 3.4GB/7.4GB used. After the upgrade, it shows 2.9GB/7.4GB used. Not sure if this is an indicator that something is missing, or maybe the new software is just smaller in size.

I put the card in the car this morning and the Nav seems to work. I didn't try much other than having the map visible on the way to work, and clicking between 2D/3D views.

So, questions for those that have updated:

1. Did it report any errors?
  2. Anyone want to plug their card into their computer, run Mazda Toolbox and tell me how much space is used on your card?
  3. Since I'm unsure of what changed, anyway to easily check if I have the new maps?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Didn't get any errors, but the size of the new file is correct.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did the same thing you did. Took forever, I mean from about 8:30 to lunch, with a high speed work connection.

I did get some errors; something associated with Delaware was one, some other little file names.

Everything worked after the update, although I had to restore my Home and office locations.

I am a long way from Delaware, and don't know if that file was corrupt, or just a hiccup during that part of the download. Delawarians, beware, I guess.

I just went to the Toolbox to see if it had any record of the size (it didn't) and was prompted to "self update" to an even newer version of the Toolbox, about 12 Mb.

·
Registered
356 Posts
the software was kinda buggy. i coudlnt log in with my computer, but the card eventually registered to the update server after i changed some network settings. then when i started updating, i got some errors. the mazda toolbox allowed me to redownload the map update. i didnt get any errors the second time.

2.9gb is correct and it appears that i got more functionality such as traffic camera warning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought the nav SD card and updated the maps last night. I did the back up first, then the update. I left the update to put kids to bed and came back a few hours later (update was slow). When I got back it was complete but it said it completed with errors. I had the details window open that was showing the packages being downloaded and installed during the install. There was a checkbox to "show only errors" so I checked that to see the errors and there was nothing there.

Initially, in the Mazda Toolbox, the card showed 3.4GB/7.4GB used. After the upgrade, it shows 2.9GB/7.4GB used. Not sure if this is an indicator that something is missing, or maybe the new software is just smaller in size.

I put the card in the car this morning and the Nav seems to work. I didn't try much other than having the map visible on the way to work, and clicking between 2D/3D views.

So, questions for those that have updated:

1. Did it report any errors?
  2. Anyone want to plug their card into their computer, run Mazda Toolbox and tell me how much space is used on your card?
  3. Since I'm unsure of what changed, anyway to easily check if I have the new maps?
Here is what I noticed I suggest the downsize when observing Windows "properties" of the card is perhaps a result of some copy protection and doesn't reflect the true size of the update.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I noticed in the Infotainment thread that some said their free maps expired Dec. 20, 2016. Where does one find out this info? I didn't see anywhere in the Toolbox that gave me an expiry date.

·
Registered
153 Posts
subscription expiry dates

You find it on the Home Screen of the Tool Box. With the SD Card connected to the PC it displays the expiry dates for the map updates and the connected services.

expiration.png

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just updated for the first time just now. I went from 3.6GB to 2.9GB. Performed backup and update without any errors.

BTW my map care subscription expires on 12/27/2016. Connected services on 4/30/2014. So it looks like the map subscription has a fixed expiration day but I still got the 60 days for the connected services that is discontinued.

Mazda USA site shows "Guaranteed map updates for three years" under Mazda Connect>Navigation. But my subscription expires in 34 months. Losing out 2 months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You find it on the Home Screen of the Tool Box. With the SD Card connected to the PC it displays the expiry dates for the map updates and the connected services.

Ya mine doesn't have any dates there. It has a message under "Subscriptions" on that page, something about not being eligible. I can't recall the wording now but will plug it in today to see what it says. I figured it was because subscription services are N/A in Canada at this time, but you think I'd see a map date.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must be something else, I am in Canada. The connected services are N/A but the map updates are available here.

Yes and my message is just under the "Subscriptions" section. There is no map updates section at all on the main page and thus no date.

ETA: I see yours is the "subscription" section as well. My French is weak. ;) LOL

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mazda USA site shows "Guaranteed map updates for three years" under Mazda Connect>Navigation. But my subscription expires in 34 months. Losing out 2 months.
That means your dealer has put in the Navigation SD 2 months before you bought the car, I would say...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here, this is what mine says:

Maybe I haven't driven far enough yet to have it set a date?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
583 Posts
Have a question on the SD card upgrades do you upgrade what was on the original card or was that copied onto a new Sd card ? I read somewhere about the Mazda Sd card that it was quite slow and the writer said they copied to a higher class speed card and a big improvement ( to a class 10) . if it was possible to download to a class 10 SD card the download should much much faster , also. don't have one yet so am not sure,

·
Registered
583 Posts
My upgrade was on the original SD card. And it was quite slow. I doubt you can use any other card: The NAV must certainly use encryption to that specific card (also registered to your specific car) so to protect from copying and selling duplicates.
From my understanding somewhere in the Mazda3Revolution forum someone copied his original SD GPS card onto a class 10 SD card ( like a backup) and had a major improvement in GPS operation when using the class 10 card. Any data like a serial number was also copied from the original. Also any download/mapping upgrade should also be much faster in the download as the card will accept it faster. I also believe you are correct in that once the OEM card is linked to your cars gps that it no longer can be used in another car's system. Don't know the specifics on exactly works ; but it works.

I guess my question is for someone to try and do a backup copy of the their OEM card onto a class 10 card and try and see if the download from the Navteq site is faster onto the class 10 card. If I had one , I would try it but won't be getting mine till later in the spring or early summer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I plugged the card in again today and in the Mazda Toolbox I have an expiry date of Feb. 28, 2017 for my map updates and on the web site I have a GPS Fix date of today :thumbup1 1:

I've meaning to clone my card and make a copy to use in the car, saving the original in the house. I did this with our other cars nav DVD. I'll report back if/when I do so. The media is too expensive to replace if it should crap out for any reason so I like to have it backed up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts