2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the tires on my 2011 Mazda 3s GT and I have a few questions:

- Is it OK if I upgrade to 215/50R17? (currently my car has 205/50R17). I just like wider tires. No other reason for that.
Will there be any negative impact on handling?

I don't want to spend a lot on tires like $700 or $900 for a set of 4. I am looking for something mid-range in terms of price (around $500). One think that is important for me is having a silent ride. By default Mazda3 has more than regular road-noise. So, I want to be sure to have a silent tires.

I prefer all season. I live in Seattle, so we have rain most of the time - not much snow.

What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
TireRack: Continental ExtemeContact DWS06

These are highly recommended on here. I still have my OEM tires on, so I can't comment from personal experience.

The website I linked to will also tell you if the tires fit. You just need to enter your car's year, make and model.
CK

·
Registered
142 Posts

- Is it OK if I upgrade to 215/50R17? (currently my car has 205/50R17). I just like wider tires. No other reason for that.

I don't want to spend a lot on tires like $700 or $900 for a set of 4. I am looking for something mid-range in terms of price (around $500). One think that is important for me is having a silent ride. By default Mazda3 has more than regular road-noise. So, I want to be sure to have a silent tires.

I prefer all season. I live in Seattle, so we have rain most of the time - not much snow.

What do you recommend?
the best way to have more quiet ride is to downsize to size 16in wheel. bigger wheels tend to be more loud, 205 wide tires might be less loud than 215 wide tires, but I guess to our human ears it might be the same.
Yes you can upgrade to 215/50R17, i think the max size you can go on the stock rims should be 225/45r17. as long as you keep the stock height. if you plan to lower your car, you might want to get aftermarket wheels with a nonstock offset, and you can get a even meatier size tire.
As for handling I dont think there is much to be gained unless you get a performance tire. If you are looking for handling over comfort (quiet) for your priority, then go with 225/45r17.
you have better chance at calling a tirerack or discount tire near you and ask them about road noise and which tires they recommend for less road noise.

But yes I agree that mazda 3 are really loud, wish mazda put more sound dampening material in their doors and whatnot

Reactions: CJR238

·
Registered
168 Posts

What do you recommend?
You will most likely need to change both numbers to get the right tire since the height/width is a percentage of each other. The second number 50 suggests that the sidewall is 50% as tall as the tire is wide.

Best tire i have ever owned for handling in the rain (or anything) are the Michilin PS4S but they are dedicated summer tires and cost a ton. I was also surprised how quiet they are. Continental is a great option, i wouldn't really go with anything else but those two.

·
Registered
720 Posts
When I switched from OEM to Michelin on my 2014 sGT, it made a huge difference in both noise and handling.
When I bought my 2017 GT, I told the dealer to deliver it with Michelins so I wouldn't have to endure the first 40k in misery.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the lack of carpet padding and overall not much in the way of things to quiet down road noise has more to do with it then tires. I tried lowering my tire pressure way down to 15psi and drove a short way before filling back to normal pressure just to see if the car got quiet. Not a bit quieter, but the steering felt like I was driving on chewing gum.
I agree to some extent. Its what seems to be the case, but when i put my PS4S on i was very surprised how quiet the car got. I was not expecting it at all since they are a summer sport that should be louder.

Maybe because the PS4S are super sticky nothing gets thrown into the wheel well. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts