2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just picked up my 2010 Mazda 3 s Sport 6-speed manual Hatchback with Bose/Moonroof and Tech packages yesterday.

Had 8 miles on it when I picked it up, now has about 75 miles on it...

Something weird is happening though that I have never experienced with the car reving down in RPM's, I have driven manuals for 14 years now...

In neutral, giving the car gas and then letting it rev down, the RPM's always stop in between 2,000 and 1,500 for about a second or two, before finally going down to it's normal RPM's for being idle, which is I believe 750...

So has anyone with the manual tranny experienced this, or should I give the dealer on Monday a call and see what they have to say about it...

I appreciate anybody's input and thank them in advance....

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is pretty common in a lot of newer cars. I think it has something to do with emissions or something like that. Most newer cars have an electronic throttle, so when you step on the gas, it sends a signal to a stepper motor which actually opens the throttle. In-between, it's processed through the ECU which actually decides the throttle opening. I wouldn't be overly-concerned about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think I should just ride it out for a few hundred miles and see if it goes away? I am assuming that once the car breaks in it will? I will say that this is my second brand new car and this did not happen with my first new car, which was a 2004 Mazda 6 5 speed manual..

I appreciate your input too, thanks...

·
Registered
227 Posts
It won't go away. The "rev hang" is for emissions control, it slows down the the sudden drop in rpm to burn off excess fuel in order to protect the catalytic converter. It is actually fairly common on most newer cars. Google rev hang and you will see it is very common on the Civic Si, Genesis Coupe, and several other vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys rock :rock 1:, thanks for all your input and help, I thought I was going crazy and I just bought a possessed car.:devil2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want to see a really bad example of the throttle hanging, drive a 2010 Subaru Imprezza with the manual transmission. It's hardly the only reason I ruled the car out, but shifting at 2k to 4k on a test drive, it would drop 100 rpm or so and hang there for three to five seconds. I thought I must have been imagining a longer delay than it really could have, so I counted. Without rushing, I easily counted one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, up to five seconds before the revs dropped. It was so bad I asked the sales guy about it. He said, "hold on, I'll take it for a spin." When he got back he had no idea what I was talking about. Apparently there all that bad.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
interesting... wonder if the WRX does that too. things like this make me miss traditional throttle bodies...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts