2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to apply a couple of the hacks to my 3 when I get it, but am wondering about one detail. Without wifi enabled, it looks like I'd have to use a "USB adapter", correct? Well, I notice that the recommended USB adapters adapt a USB port to an Ethernet cable.

Does this mean that I can only open things up if I can get an Ethernet cable from my home network to my car? This is basically out of the question for several reasons. Are there other options or techniques?

Come to think about it, I might have an old Linksys cable router lying around and could power that up and plug into the LAN ports...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The procedure requires gaining network access to your Infotainment system, whether by WiFi or Ethernet (by utilising a USB-Ethernet adapter) from another computer. If you have a spare router hanging about, then go ahead and set that up. It doesn't need an Internet connection, just a simple device to "run" a network. Simply plugging power into your spare router, connecting a laptop and the car to said router should be all that's necessary.

(For those more technically adept, it requires a network providing DHCP, which you could run from a laptop with a WiFi adapter that supports and is configured to act as an AP)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd like to apply a couple of the hacks to my 3 when I get it, but am wondering about one detail. Without wifi enabled, it looks like I'd have to use a "USB adapter", correct? Well, I notice that the recommended USB adapters adapt a USB port to an Ethernet cable.

Does this mean that I can only open things up if I can get an Ethernet cable from my home network to my car? This is basically out of the question for several reasons. Are there other options or techniques?

Come to think about it, I might have an old Linksys cable router lying around and could power that up and plug into the LAN ports...
Yea, heres the stuff I used.... I just went and bought a 100 ft ethernet cable I linked here and it worked good for me.... but I guess if you don't have a router there are other options to do the whole secure shell thing.... I know people have figured out Mobile ways of getting in, either it was with a lap top or tablet and some adapters I forget...

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Macbook, Chromebook, Windows 8.1 and Earlier, Surface Pro, Wii, Wii U, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772 chipset)

Amazon.com: Importer520 Ethernet Cable, CAT5e - 100 ft Blue: Computers & Accessories

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is awesome! I didn't have a clue that this was an option. Pretty cool if you have the knowledge of how to configure your network settings and IP addresses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the method I used. I configured the network port on my laptop as a static IP of 192.168.42.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, connected it right up to the usb adapter tethered to the Mazda and inniciated an ssh connection to 192.168.42.1.
Great! I was wondering about a direct connection but didn't know what to do about coming up with a static IP address that would work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is the method I used. I configured the network port on my laptop as a static IP of 192.168.42.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, connected it right up to the usb adapter tethered to the Mazda and inniciated an ssh connection to 192.168.42.1.
excuse me for the noob question but do you plug the USB adapter into the USB slot in the center console?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts