2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like ebay has cheap kits for adding heated mirrors. I'm not sure how well these will work or if they will work at all. I'm hoping there are electrical connectors sitting there connected to the defrost button that aren't connected on the US models which would make it a lot easier. Otherwise I would have to run wires to the defrost button.

I haven't taken the mirror apart but I'm assuming the motors connect directly to the mirror so the heating pads would have to connect to the plastic backing. Has anyone tried anything like this. Is this a stupid idea or is there a better way to do this? Between the morning dew and frost on the side mirrors I seriously need this feature. I need it more than I need defrost on the reat window.

The side mirrors have so many életrícal connections in there from motors to blinkers to radar and I don't want to break any of it. It really is a major mistake that Mazda chose to remove this as a cost savings.

So does anyone have any advice? Has anyone taken off the mirror and noticed that there are wires going to the rear defroster and just not connected. I've spent a lot of time Googling. Any help would be appreciate

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not having heated mirrors on my Preferred is driving me absolutely insane. Haven't looked into doing anything about it, but if you find a good solution, let us know.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
457 Posts
My experience with aftermarket power mirrors (on several different brands of cars/trucks) is that they generally look and work fine, with one issue. I've found that the mirror glass has a tendency to giggle more than OEM. If the road is rough or the tires are out of balance it can get annoying, but at half the cost of OEM, you get what you pay for.

As for the heater elements, I don't have direct knowledge of the harness in your car. But the key question is if the harness in the door has the wiring for heated mirrors when the car didn't come with them. If I had to bet money, I'd guess that the heater wiring isn't there. I wanted to put power mirrors in a GMC that didn't come with it and discovered that the wiring wasn't even there. Grrr.

If the wiring isn't there, you can always add it, but you want to tread carefully there. It makes heat by putting enough current through a resistive element to produce heat. You want to make sure to have some kind of protection fuse in the circuit to prevent your car from going up in flames. Seen too many cars at the salvage auctions that were totaled when the aftermarket seat heaters caught fire. You also want to make sure to have the right gauge wiring and to see if a relay will be required to allow a signal wire to turn on the higher-current heater element. Maybe the heated mirrors aren't that high-current, but they might be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts