2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the 8-inch QL-MZD216 to install, but it doesn't have any reviews, and there aren't any online or on youtube. Does anyone here have this unit?

I know many of you have the 7-inch QL-MZD723 but there are many things I dislike about the demos I've seen. The display of the QL-MZD723 is horrible... I much prefer the QL-MZD216. It also looks much sleeker.

I have a 2012 iTouring Skyactive, and I've been told the interior hasn't changed much since 2010, so either of these units will fit.

The QL-MZD723 also seemed to run rather slow... The QL-MZD216 seems like a newer model, so maybe it'll run faster?

Who knows... But any input would be great.

:chuck_norris 1:

·
dutchabag
292 Posts
I have ql-mzd723 headunit ,mine is the 2012 model,i got mine 2 months ago,only thing change in the front are the knobs are black and in the back now comes with 2 usb connector,one in the frame for usb works in you usb display at radio and has another one as a pig tail,that works in the GPS side of the processor for media player,this radio will work with bose and none bose systems,if you have the bose system you to get one that works with it.The radio has dual processor,one for all radio functions and one for GPS/MEDIA PLAYER,hope this helps

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you order yours from... The knobs are different from photos I've seen.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do these units amplify the power to the speakers at all? I know many aftermarket hu's are like 50w but this has no specification for that. Anyone know the answer?

·
dutchabag
292 Posts
Got mine from ebay;only problem for 2012 mazda is gauges are not red,the radio only have orange,yellowish green and red option to change,and they have been going up in price,the sound quality is very good, 4 x 45 much better than none bose radio, i got from this guy,only took a week to get shipped,olso get radio removal kit to remove you vents to acces the radio,so you dont damaged trim,took me about 45 min to hook everything up,i place my gps antenna inside of dash all the way front of it with double side tape and works perfect 7" For Mazda 3 2010 2011 DVD Player Radio GPS Navigation Bluetooth iPod RDS | eBay this is a old model picture,the new one comes with black knobs

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got mine from ebay;only problem for 2012 mazda is gauges are not red,the radio only have orange,yellowish green and red option to change,and they have been going up in price,the sound quality is very good, 4 x 45 much better than none bose radio, i got from this guy,only took a week to get shipped,olso get radio removal kit to remove you vents to acces the radio,so you dont damaged trim,took me about 45 min to hook everything up,i place my gps antenna inside of dash all the way front of it with double side tape and works perfect 7" For Mazda 3 2010 2011 DVD Player Radio GPS Navigation Bluetooth iPod RDS | eBay this is a old model picture,the new one comes with black knobs
Thanks for this info. I am going to try the model I was first looking at... If it doesn't work, I'll switch to this. I am only pay $399 for that model as well as a camera for the back plate.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So an update...

The 216 model doesn't support the BOSE system. I had to change my order to the 723 to support my BOSE system.

Oh well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey ryan, let me know what you think of that QL-MZD723 once you get it. I plan on ordering the same one and was checking around to see what people thought about it before i spend my hard earned money on it :blush 1:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey ryan, let me know what you think of that QL-MZD723 once you get it. I plan on ordering the same one and was checking around to see what people thought about it before i spend my hard earned money on it :blush 1:
Will do. I should get it in about a week or so. I ordered through autodvdgps.com.

Reactions: SkyBlu

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This looks interesting. Does anyone know if it supports AVRCP 1.3 (song metadata over the bluetooth streaming)? Can anyone with an iPhone 4/4S test it?

Thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had this installed for a few days now. Bluetooth works, but it doesn't transfer meta data. At least I haven't figured it out yet. But the Bluetooth sucks ass. Choppy as all hell while playing over Bluetooth.

But connect the iPhone to the iPad cable that comes included and with the Bose system... It's amazing.

Watching movies is great too. Now my girl can shop and I can watch top gear on a 16gb card I bought.

I got the 7inch 723 model.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Fighter of Foo
187 Posts
I've had this installed for a few days now. Bluetooth works, but it doesn't transfer meta data. At least I haven't figured it out yet. But the Bluetooth sucks ass. Choppy as all hell while playing over Bluetooth.

But connect the iPhone to the iPad cable that comes included and with the Bose system... It's amazing.

Watching movies is great too. Now my girl can shop and I can watch top gear on a 16gb card I bought.

And steering wheel controls are non-functional, correct?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Not sure it's worth doing then (for me atleast). The rear camera feature would be cool, but if I really wanted to watch movies in my car, I'd just use my laptop or tablet haha.
The bluetooth in the stock head unit works well enough for me, except the lack of metadata when using my iPhone... grrr! I'll probably just wait a year or two and get an Android phone or maybe Apple will fix the issue by then.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And steering wheel controls are non-functional, correct?
All work except the phone options, so just the volume and next/prev. It's all programmable too.

Not sure it's worth doing then (for me atleast). The rear camera feature would be cool, but if I really wanted to watch movies in my car, I'd just use my laptop or tablet haha.
The bluetooth in the stock head unit works well enough for me, except the lack of metadata when using my iPhone... grrr! I'll probably just wait a year or two and get an Android phone or maybe Apple will fix the issue by then.
I'm not 100% happy with it. But.. In the end it was a birthday gift. I am enjoying it. The sound quality is great, the rearview camera is sweet, and the GPS works very well. I'm happy.

·
Fighter of Foo
187 Posts
All work except the phone options, so just the volume and next/prev. It's all programmable too.
Wow, awesome! I was under the impression that none of the steering wheel controls would work. Good news everyone!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

I'm not 100% happy with it. But.. In the end it was a birthday gift. I am enjoying it. The sound quality is great, the rearview camera is sweet, and the GPS works very well. I'm happy.
I think it would be cool to hook a rear view camera up to the MID display. I have the built in nav w/ the color screen. I haven't seen anyone do this though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im also looking to buy one of those , either the QL-MZD216 or QL-111. Does anyone know the differences and which one is better?
The QL-MZD216 looks nicer , but theres only one picture of it, while the other one contains more info and more pics.
Dont know which is better to get...

I dont have the bose system.

·
Fighter of Foo
187 Posts
I ordered the QL-MZD216 today. Got the rear back up camera with it. Hoping it'll be here in a week or so. I'll post up when it gets here, and my impressions of it.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts