2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo guys,

Could someone tell me where I can buy those retainer clips ? => https://imgur.com/a/ce0C28s
I want to drill out the rivets and install another grill and if it is possible to replace it with those clips.
Btw.which rivet size do I need?

Could someone tell me where the second headlight adjustment screw is ?
I only see one on each side. https://imgur.com/a/iMywgKW
Maybe I'm blind ;)

Regards,
Felix

·
Registered
255 Posts

You shouldn't have to drill out anything. I'm assuming you're trying to remove the plastic pieces since you didn't make a notation in the pictures which fasteners you wish to remove. The one that looks like a circle within a circle is fairly easy to remove. You need a thin tool or pick that fits the seam of the inner circle of the rivet. The fastener to the left is a bit obscured, but I bet someone will chime in soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
Early Gen 3 cars have rivets in place of the later plastic fasteners.
Those plastic pop rivets can be purchased at most any auto parts store.
There is only one adjustment on each light box, vertical adjustment only.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ,the picture shows the rivet on the left and the plastic pop rivet on the right.

It is odd that there is only the option to adjust the headlights vertically.

Someone told me he aligned it.( Vertically and horizontally)

Regards,
Felix

·
Registered
255 Posts
Early Gen 3 cars have rivets in place of the later plastic fasteners.
Those plastic pop rivets can be purchased at most any auto parts store.
There is only one adjustment on each light box, vertical adjustment only.
The kicker is the OP doesn't have to drill out the one rivet you identified. He should be able to pop the others open, remove them, and then apply firm pressure to get the remaining rivets to release.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gary_L
You have to drill those rivets out if you want to replace the grill ( like I do).
My questions was if the orher plastic pop up clips will fit in those "rivet holes".

·
Master of Desaster
15 Posts
At my horn exchange I have drilled out the Aluminium rivets and have substituted for them with the plastic pop Clips

Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany

Reactions: btun8

·
Registered
255 Posts
Gary_L
You have to drill those rivets out if you want to replace the grill ( like I do).
My questions was if the orher plastic pop up clips will fit in those "rivet holes".
I see. The earlier response about getting replacement at a parts store led me to believe the rivets were actually X-mas tree fasteners, like this:

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
Gary_L
Those pop-up trim retainers come in a bunch of shapes and sizes. Get the ones you want to use, measure and drill accordingly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
At my horn exchange I have drilled out the Aluminium rivets and have substituted for them with the plastic pop Clips

Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Germany
Which dimensions do these pop up clips have ? (7mm)
I just want to know before I drill those rivets out.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The pop up plastic piece you need is in stock at Mazda. go there and buy some.
Then measure and drill.

·
Super Moderator
5,985 Posts
Read post #14 above... Before I drill it out I would like to know the dimension, so I can put it right in and not wait x days to get the order.
I don't want to rivet it , I want plastic clips instead,
Still not understanding.
You can't drill until you know the size, you won't know the size until you actually have the part in hand.
Buy part, measure part, drill hole.:bash:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
omg...

In post #7 grobi555 already did it and replaced the rivets with plastic clips and he knows the size , but he didn't mentioned it.

Is it hard to understand that I want the plastic clips before I drill the rivets out ? The "Madza dealer" said he has only aluminium rivets and I don't want that...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts