2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just did my first full car dip yesterday and I think it turned out great! Love the color and its almost two toned. Looks different at night but in the sun its vibrant and pearly. One of the many colors to come. My car will be a chameleon for the rest of its life :)

Not sure what I want to do with the emblems yet. So I am leaving them the color of the car for now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's sick! Awesome color choice! What's your line up for future colors?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! This is my favorite color :D My next adventure would be messing with pearl and chameleon pigments in with clear dip. Here are some of the ideas ive had....

Green iguana to yellow chameleon
Fire red with gold metalizer flake
Purple to green to blue chamelon
pearl white with purple accents
Two tone yellow and black (half the car yellow half black sectioned off down the center but use a curved line to achieve the color split.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My brother said some gloss over the emblems would make them pop a little more so i may be doing that. Probably should have removed the emblems before dipping but i got nervous and just wanted to start the project with out any extra steps involved.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Call me a newbie, but what exactly is dipping?? Looks awesome BTW!!
Plastidip is paint that basically paint that is removable. youtube that shiz

Can't wait to see more though!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did 5 coats with the purple and 2 coats with the pearl mixed in with the purple. Almost used 3 gallons total. Still have some left over.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Plastidip is paint that basically paint that is removable.
Plasti Dip is actually a spray on rubber coating. It's not a paint.

I agree that the emblems should be different but the coverage and overall look of the car look great! Good job!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Plasti Dip is actually a spray on rubber coating. It's not a paint.

I agree that the emblems should be different but the coverage and overall look of the car look great! Good job!

Which sprays on like a can of paint, or can be used in a paint gun. So like paint, but not paint.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have never actually seen anyone do a decent job of dipping large parts of their car, but you did the whole thing and it looks even and smooth! Nicely done!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks good man, when it comes to dipping you cars, 6 inches, smooth long sweeps and a spray gun will give you perfect results every time. Thought you obviously knew that since you were using gallons.

Have you thought about mixing in a bigger pearlizer or metalizer ratio? My buddy dipped his whole M3 black and metalizer at a 1:1 ratio and it came out like nothing ive ever seen before.

You know plasti-dip will come off the emblems perfectly right? i would remove the dip off all the emblems so it doesnt just look like someone dumped a vat of purple primer on your car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! :)Yea I really want to do a better job around the emblems. Im nervous about messing with it though because some of the dip connected with the emblems and didn't "cut" the dip for me. I will either paint just the emblems with gloss so they stand out more or I will have to use an exacto blade around them and set it with some xylene. There are some textured areas and a few runs. Most of the runs you can't see unless you look for them and they are all towards the bottom of the car (guess i didnt squat good enough)

I need better lighting when i do this next time. My next time will be even better I know it. And yes i thought about adding more pearlizer because I just didn't get the POP I wanted. I might add another coat maybe two. Need to fix my little issues with the emblems first though. That and right around the back keyhole I had some build up and now I need to fix that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have fun cleaning it and keeping the dip.
Cleaning it is pain in the butt, dirt really stick on the dip paint.
And be careful not to spray the dip with any chemicals such as (brake cleaner, goo gone) they can make your dip go away.

Learn from my experience, thought I'd share it.

Looks good btw ! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think stock silver emblems would look perfectly fine, but I think orange emblems would look pretty spankin IMO (or maybe green). In any case some contrast is needed, but I love the look! Will definitely look into dipping my car once its a couple years old

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I will be doing a mint/teal next. Like I said my car will be a chameleon for the rest of its life. Gonna let this color set with me for a bit though. It was my first job...and im OCD and I know there are spots on the car that aren't quiet right. And they bug me....and im lame lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We removed the paint from the emblems last night. Kinda tough because some of the letters didnt cut the dip for me so we had to use some thinner and an exacto blade but i think it looks fine now. Even up close you can barely see where we had to cut and fix it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts