2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if pure white halogen bulbs actually produce a white color when it's just used as a DRL? I'd like to disable the DRLs, but unfortunately the combo for the 2013 cx-5 of headlight on/off 5 times, hazard 5x and headlight 5x doesn't work in Canadian cars.

I also didn't want to remove the fuse just because. I was planning on getting some 'pure white' halogens, but wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with these? Since the bulb is a DRL/high beam bulb, the wattage sent through the bulb when being used as a DRL is much lower than when the high beam is on I'd imagine. With that being said, if the wattage is lower I'd expect a more yellow tint whereas at higher wattages i'd expect it to wash the colour out to be more white. There aren't any decent videos on youtube, so if anyone else has done this, would you be able to say if it'd be truly white as a DRL?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Typically the "white" halogen bulbs achieve their effect by having blue tinted glass rather than clear glass. In this case, they should be "white" regardless of DRL/high beam usage.

Come to think of it, I've never come across a white halogen headlamp bulb without the glass being blue tinted.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically the "white" halogen bulbs achieve their effect by having blue tinted glass rather than clear glass. In this case, they should be "white" regardless of DRL/high beam usage.

Come to think of it, I've never come across a white halogen headlamp bulb without the glass being blue tinted.
The ones I'm looking at, you're right, are blue tinted with silver/blue cap tips. I don't really care if the light output is lowered since I hardly use high beams, just want it to actually be white :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have them as my DRL right now but I wasn't happy at how they turned out to be. They're not pure white. They have a slight yellow tint to them and look just a tad better than the oem colour. When you use them as high beams, they look white. I suggest going for LEDs if you want a pure white.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have them as my DRL right now but I wasn't happy at how they turned out to be. They're not pure white. They have a slight yellow tint to them and look just a tad better than the oem colour. When you use them as high beams, they look white. I suggest going for LEDs if you want a pure white.
x2 on the LEDs, but they won't be as efficient as halogen bulbs for long-distance visibility.

Function **> Form

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll check out LEDs, I just wasn't sure how the resistor would connect, and I also read somewhere they run very hot?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LEDs still have a way to go.
From what I can see the LEDs are a lot more expensive than HIDs, also the cutoff on the LEDs are similar to HIDs so I'd probably be blinding oncoming traffic.

I'm planning on installing some angel eyes to act as the DRL, and I guess just pull the DRL fuse, I'd rather not blind people with LEDs shining in every direction

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cree is the best set up in LEDs right now. I put a CREE LED bulb in my bike, replacing a 7 year old HID. The HID was brighter and had much better coverage. Looking forward to hearing your feedback. I would park in front of a wall where it is pretty dark and take a before and after. This would give you an idea of the difference in pattern.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cree is the best set up in LEDs right now. I put a CREE LED bulb in my bike, replacing a 7 year old HID. The HID was brighter and had much better coverage. Looking forward to hearing your feedback. I would park in front of a wall where it is pretty dark and take a before and after. This would give you an idea of the difference in pattern.
From what I've read everywhere LEDs won't do me justice for DRLs. It looks like they're just for show, but the output even compared to stock halogens is poor, and I'd like knowing my high beams will work when I need them.

Also can't put HIDs in there because of the time it takes to engage so that'd make them useless as high beams also. Looks like I'll have to attempt to find a white halogen bulb for DRLs, but that's proving difficult. Low beams white halogen is probably easier, since they run at full power so 55w, but pretty sure DRLs are 30% of the output power so 0.3*65w which means they don't burn hot enough to be white. Was debating if it's possible to use a higher wattage bulb, but would rather not overheat the harness.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The best ones made that I can think of are made by PIAA, PIAA Corporation | LED Lights | Halogen Bulbs | Wipers | Driving Lights | Fog Lights. They are not cheap. You can also look under the motorcycle section.
From what I've read everywhere LEDs won't do me justice for DRLs. It looks like they're just for show, but the output even compared to stock halogens is poor, and I'd like knowing my high beams will work when I need them.

Also can't put HIDs in there because of the time it takes to engage so that'd make them useless as high beams also. Looks like I'll have to attempt to find a white halogen bulb for DRLs, but that's proving difficult. Low beams white halogen is probably easier, since they run at full power so 55w, but pretty sure DRLs are 30% of the output power so 0.3*65w which means they don't burn hot enough to be white. Was debating if it's possible to use a higher wattage bulb, but would rather not overheat the harness.
Did you see the above post?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you see the above post?
Yes, unfortunately even PIAA tinted halogens in a high beam casing will appear yellow as DRLs due to the lower power consumption.

I'm tempted by their LED lights, but not tempted enough to spend $300 USD, which in Canada is more around $360 due to the horrible dollar conversion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay, first of all, apologies for the super late update. I had a hell of a time with shipping and finally received my LEDs yesterday. They took so long, even my fogs came in faster than them.

Anyways, I installed the LEDs today and started up my car but the low beam doesn't work. But then I tested the high beams and they work! So I'm guessing I actually do need resistors for these lights...(so much for plug and play). I'm getting an oil change on Monday so I'll ask my mechanic if he is able to grab me some since he deals with lights as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, first of all, apologies for the super late update. I had a hell of a time with shipping and finally received my LEDs yesterday. They took so long, even my fogs came in faster than them.

Anyways, I installed the LEDs today and started up my car but the low beam doesn't work. But then I tested the high beams and they work! So I'm guessing I actually do need resistors for these lights...(so much for plug and play). I'm getting an oil change on Monday so I'll ask my mechanic if he is able to grab me some since he deals with lights as well.
Thanks for the update! Hope you gave the shipper a negative review on that one lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sylvania silverstar bulbs were the most white halogens I could find. The life span is about half a normal bulb though.

I tried several other halogens that claim to be white, and was not impressed at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts