2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a flat tire today :argh 1: and just wondering if you guys think this can be plugged/patched or if its too close to the sidewall to do so. I attached a photo, and the bolt thats stuck in the tire is right inside the red circle i added to the image. (I sprayed white plastidip on the sidewall to mark where the puncture is for my reference)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Tread on that tire looks like it's getting low.
Replace it, don't chance it. What if it blows again 200 miles away from home?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Wow that's good on stock tires. I'd throw a patch in it. I've never had issues with patches failing. But if you are planning on getting new tires soon then you could just buy them now. But this time of year is tough on people money wise.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thats really borderline. If it were me I wouldnt even bother with a patch I would just plug it and hope that it works. If it does then just carry the plug kit with you just in case it lets go lol
Usually if a plug works it works though

·
Registered
718 Posts
What is the consensus on plugging radials now... they used to say always remove the tire and use a patch, and that plugs can cause deamination, but at a tire shop awhile ago they told me that isn't true anymore and the important thing is where the puncture is located?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What is the consensus on plugging radials now... they used to say always remove the tire and use a patch, and that plugs can cause deamination, but at a tire shop awhile ago they told me that isn't true anymore and the important thing is where the puncture is located?
the way I understand it is that plugs are only temporary until you can get to a tire shop to have it patched. If a plug works for me I just leave it. I've never had one fail

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright, I got the tire plugged today, but once it was off the car, I got a much better look at it, and it's more worn down that I was thinking... looks like I will be getting new tires very soon.

·
Registered
583 Posts
plugg tire

Most responsible tire shops will always patch the tire from the inside. The plug is there to fill the hole and this depends just what punctured it. Keeps the fine stones from working up and cutting another hole into the patch. If it is only a small nail hole then a patch works fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts