2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let this be your lesson of changing your ATF, it's NOT sealed for life.

The oil came out black and smelled burnt after just 55k miles

Original included for reference

Ps: CX5 uses the same transmission so this will also work on the 3 and 6

https://youtu.be/5p6t3cH6hW0

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
How many miles on tranny when you drained this fluid?

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Changed mine at 43k when it started to go brown on me. No burning or anything but hey, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was worried about this. The manual says I should change the ATF every 60k kilometers. I don't know if its better to change the fluid sooner than recommended, I change the fluid in my family's car when the color looks different and the smell as well and have no issues. Unfortunately its a little bit of a hassle to check the fluid on my Mazda 3 because I have to remove the air filter box first to get to the dipstick, unlike other cars that's got a dipstick you could immediately see when you open the hood.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was worried about this. The manual says I should change the ATF every 60k kilometers. I don't know if its better to change the fluid sooner than recommended, I change the fluid in my family's car when the color looks different and the smell as well and have no issues. Unfortunately its a little bit of a hassle to check the fluid on my Mazda 3 because I have to remove the air filter box first to get to the dipstick, unlike other cars that's got a dipstick you could immediately see when you open the hood.

Where from? Mine said sealed for life or not needed

That's the easy part, the hard part is removing the cover at the bottom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Starting to make me nervous I'm just shy of 50k. That's crazy 3rd gens say life time!? I'm just gonna drive it and see what happens, I'll swap to a M/T if it goes out. Was planning on it anyways.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starting to make me nervous I'm just shy of 50k. That's crazy 3rd gens say life time!? I'm just gonna drive it and see what happens, I'll swap to a M/T if it goes out. Was planning on it anyways.
When it goes, it'll make you wanna cry.

The tranny even though expensive, is cheaper than the labor

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea I saw on LKQ M/T are going for dirt cheap all I need is that a pedal short shifter and the center console and I'm ready to go. How much is the labor?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I saw on LKQ M/T are going for dirt cheap all I need is that a pedal short shifter and the center console and I'm ready to go. How much is the labor?
I don't know about changing from an automatic to manual but I suspect a lot more expensive. A know someone whom got charged 3k to replace the auto tranny on a different car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know about changing from an automatic to manual but I suspect a lot more expensive. A know someone whom got charged 3k to replace the auto tranny on a different car.
Was that including parts and labor? the used LKQ M/T are very cheap I've seen them go for $500 shipped. Then you need a pedal center console cables etc. If you source the parts and do it your self or a local shop should be cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was that including parts and labor? the used LKQ M/T are very cheap I've seen them go for $500 shipped. Then you need a pedal center console cables etc. If you source the parts and do it your self or a local shop should be cheaper than the dealer.
3k labor alone.

You still gotta reprogram the ECU and change the interior pieces

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yepp. clutch pedal and interior pieces are easy to get from mazda. maybe just swap out the ECU all together for a used M/T but maybe mazda edit can be used? Not certain but when ever I get around to swapping mines I will post it up.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Stewie, thanks for posting. Did you notice any kind of improvement in shifting or torque converter performance? I have 55K on mine and I've been thinking about changing the fluid. My cold weather/engine shifting performance has degraded very significantly over the past ~10K miles. its very clunky when cold. Shifting improves when warm but the lockout of the torque converter has become notchy feeling and overall much less crisp than when new.. Hoping the fluid change will help, because its a real disappointment to have the transmission operating this poorly so early in the life of the car.

Also, did you change the filter? How did you check transmission operating temperature to confirm the fill for the replacement fluid?

·
Registered
2016 3 Sport GT
32 Posts
Weird how the fluid crapped out so fast. I expected it to last at least 100k km before burning out. Anyone else have hard shift between 1-2 during cold starts? I've got a 3 Sport 16 GT with 38k on it. Might send the car out for a tranny flush.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Stewie, thanks for posting. Did you notice any kind of improvement in shifting or torque converter performance? I have 55K on mine and I've been thinking about changing the fluid. My cold weather/engine shifting performance has degraded very significantly over the past ~10K miles. its very clunky when cold. Shifting improves when warm but the lockout of the torque converter has become notchy feeling and overall much less crisp than when new.. Hoping the fluid change will help, because its a real disappointment to have the transmission operating this poorly so early in the life of the car.

Also, did you change the filter? How did you check transmission operating temperature to confirm the fill for the replacement fluid?
Just faster shifts when on manual mode.

I didn't change the filter as it was too risky for me as the gasket needs to be made with a paste which needs curing time. Also, the filter or strainer is just a rock catcher unlike oil filters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weird how the fluid crapped out so fast. I expected it to last at least 100k km before burning out. Anyone else have hard shift between 1-2 during cold starts? I've got a 3 Sport 16 GT with 38k on it. Might send the car out for a tranny flush.

I wouldn't do a flush as it may do more damage than good.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts