2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm moving on from my automatic Scion Xb and I've been looking at Mazda 3 hatchbacks as a way to go.
The little box has been very reliable and had no problems on a recent 1000+ mile road trip.
From my research, it seems Mazda 3 would be just as reliable, and in addition to reliable, more engaging.
I've found a nice 2013 Mazda 3i touring 6 spd 2.0l near me and wondering if it would make for a good upgrade.
Is it worth to keep looking for 2.5l version?

All comments are appreciated.

·
Working Class Hero
3,710 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Personal opinion I never liked the Gen 2 look with that big smiley face front end. Suggest looking for a Gen 3 (2014-2018) 2.5 liter engine.
This.

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
The 2.5L engines deliver a lot more bang for the buck.

If you want speed though and you like the look of the 2013 model, I would check out the Mazdaspeed 3 hatchback. (Forced induction turbo charged engines)

They are a little less reliable than the Skyactiv engines, but can deliver a lot more speed and quickness.
CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

There seems to be a consensus that 2.5>2.0. Besides better mileage, are there any other advantages thet 2.0 has?
I have a feeling that if i go with 2 liter, i would always wonder how much better the 2.5 could have been.
Is the lack of power that noticeable, would someone coming from ~100hp econobox notice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2.5L engines deliver a lot more bang for the buck.

If you want speed though and you like the look of the 2013 model, I would check out the Mazdaspeed 3 hatchback. (Forced induction turbo charged engines)

They are a little less reliable than the Skyactiv engines, but can deliver a lot more speed and quickness.
CK
I'm a sucker for a car with personality, no other car has a smile like that :laugh2:
However, I did make an insurance quote for Speed3 and it was 3-4X what I pay now for the Xb.
Should I expect the regular 3 insurance to be just as high?
Thanks

·
Banned
842 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Everywhere through out time people compare the power output of an engine thinking that this is what makes the car. The fact is unless you are driving around at or close to RED LINE you will not see the advertised power out put. It has been a long time suggestion that the auto makers change the way they advertise power to a more normal usage as the car was specifically designed for. If that were the case Super Charged and Turbo Charged engines would have close to the same power output as a normally aspirated engine for about 80% of the average driving done.
I would not entertain choosing a car based on power comparisons and instead use common sence what pleases you the most. If I had used power output or handling capacity specification I would not be on this forum and owning a 2018 MAZDA 3 today.

MY 2005 PT Cruiser GT ( don't laugh) handles better and has almost twice (more like 3x's) the power....... and I won't even go into my other cars that literally could drive around my and most Mazda's modified or stock and only have a base 1.6 engine.

So go with the spirit of what feels good to you. I think that you will find the MAZDA 3's to the liking sporty and fun to drive and affordable.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
The insurance on my 3 isn't that bad.

It's a compact economy car, so it should be reasonable.

The Speed 3s retain their value pretty well as there is some demand for used ones. That may be why it was so much higher.
CK

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If you are just looking for a DD good gas mileage car then pick a 2.0 liter but if you into pushing the limits of a car go for the 2.5 liter. Stateside it's 155 hp vs 184 hp and I don't think 184hp is pushing the limits of the car. Here in Thailand we have the Japan spec 2 liter 165hp engine and many times going through twisty stuff the engine does not push the limits of the car. Of course if you want safety then get an engine that doesn't push the limits of a car. Being an racer (you are never an ex racer) I like pushing the limits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts