2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now of course oil substance matters much more than a label, but I'm curious to hear other opinions. In my old Nissan Sentra I used Valvoline MaxLife oil and had great results considering the condition and age of the vehicle. Now that I have a Mazda 3 with only 3,000 miles, I would like to start the car off right with proper maintenance. One of these categories of maintenance I'm debating on is oil. I understand that the Mazda manual suggests Castrol 0W-20 oil, but does it truly make a difference if I use Valvoline 0W-20 instead since I've used it in the past with success? Thanks in advance.

·
Working Class Hero
3,710 Posts
There are more dead horses laying around here concerning oil preferences than perhaps any other topic. A quick search will yield a few threads you can read on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can probably bet that the engine went through its entire development with Castrol 0W-20 for it to be the recommended oil, and it most-likely also shipped/dealer filled with Castrol. Rarely does an engine or car company do all of their testing with one oil and ship with another, and the oil companies tend to make sure of that. (I used to work for an engine company, and we did all of our testing with Shell Rotella. Factory fill was also Rotella.) What you gain is that security knowing that your engine was fully life tested and validated with Castrol.

That said, contrary to the oil companies' statements, most high quality synthetics will be fine for the engine. Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc. are all top quality and will do your engine just fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As long as the oil meets the specification(s) required by the manufacturer it won't make any difference what brand you use.
Think of all the people that use QuickLube or independent garages to do their servicing...If these places had to keep all the different brands of oil in stock an oil change would be $150. I bet even some dealers don't specifically use Castrol.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I break my car in, then use a top quality full synthetic 0-20 with a Mazda oil filter. @SirMikan's list above is a good one, though there are strong advocates for others too. @johnzcarz also hit this nail on the head. @GerryB 's comment was so correct, and paraphrasing here, that this could well be the most posted, and most debated subject on every car forum.

BTW, I learned recently that there are over 2,500 car forums just primarily using the English language.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Any oil that meets Mazdas warranty requirements is fine. Go to your local dealer and get the car serviced. I bet that the oil they use comes in bulk from whoever is on contract currently.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input! I think I'll go ahead and stick with the Castrol. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts