2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from EvoXforum and thought it would be beneficial to share it here. I didn't write it myself. Somebody else put this great info together.

"99% of clunking problem are probably your endlinks

1. If you got an aftermarket swaybar, but are still using stock endlinks - they're probably causing your clunking (before we even get into the whole part about how they're not going to last)
2. If you got aftermarket (adjustable) endlinks and you're still clunking, you probably installed them incorrectly

I'm making this thread, because when I tell people that they probably installed them incorrectly, they simply say something like..."no I did", or "no I just looked under there and checked", or "they're nice and tight"
:duh:

---

You should have absolutely ZERO preload on your endlinks.

As in, when you slot the stud through the sway bar hole, it should go in completely freely without contact/rubbing/force/etc...

THAT is the main point of ADJUSTABLE aftermarket endlinks. Stock endlinks usually just don't cut it - they're a static length designed to fit one bar (the OEM one). Aftermarket endlinks are not flashy products to give you +1 to handling - they exist to allow a proper install.

So when you install your sway bar, install the endlinks to the chassis, but NOT to the sway bar. Then lower the car to the ground so the suspension is at it's "normal state" (this is another point where people screw up, installing with a jacked car means the suspension is just free-floating)

When the car is on the ground, at rest - swing the endlink stud through the sway bar hole you intend to use. The stud should go straight through the hole with no contact, no fuss. You do not want any force on the endlink - this is supposed to be your "at rest" or "normal" state of the suspension - no preload.

If you are unable to swing the stud through the hole without preload, then this is where you adjust the length of your endlink. Keep adjusting your endlink length until the above is possible.

If you simply slapped on the endlinks (especially if you just did it while the car was jacked), you installed them incorrectly.

Personally, I recommend Whiteline Endlinks because they are beefy and proven to work. You can browse thread after thread of other options and go trial/error other endlinks, but I don't see the point (especially when most get the Whiteline rear sway bar anyway).

So there - if you're having clunking noises and didn't install your endlinks properly, or used your stock endlinks and they didn't fit freely without preload, here's (usually, 99% of the time)your problem.

-

Because someone will probably mention it - yes, there is the possibility of intentionally using preload to adjust handling.

I personally do not like this idea/method, but that is beyond the scope of this - you could discuss it here:
Suspension Tuning - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums "

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
Well actually, preload won't cause clunking or any other sound. What does cause unwanted noise is primarily improper tightening of the fasteners. Use a torque wrench and use the proper specs for the fastener.
The other source of noise is improper installation, especially when the car is lowered and adjustable links are used. Its possible to install the lower end of the front endlinks on the wrong side of the mounting point on the lower control arm. This causes the end of the bolt to strike the subframe at times. It is also possible to install the sway bars at the wrong angle when using adjustable links. The rear bar, when set too high in lowered cars, will strike floor pan at full compression. The sway bars should be as close to horizontal as possible. Adjustments are best done with the wheels on and the car up on ramps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts