2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look, this is from 1 year with a DDM 35W 6000K HID kit.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
this is fairly normal with HID retro bulb based kits, the OEM plastic housings are not designed to take the extra heat generated from the HID bulb. (hence why OEM HID systems are made of fiber injected plastic, metal and glass)

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know, I was just posting as an FYI for those interested, or people who need a visual. I have Mini D2S with CBI bulbs now :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah I know, I was just posting as an FYI for those interested, or people who need a visual. I have Mini D2S with CBI bulbs now :)
great choice on the cbi's. i like them much better than the svs. both are gorgeous but the svs are too yellow for me. im pairing my cbi's with some denso ballasts in my retrofit. shit will be glorious

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Dont buy cheap HID's and buy dont put HID's in non HID projectors

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
soo how do we prevent or is there a solution?
Or you can do what I did with my mother's 7th Gen civic, replaced the plastic light defuser with a polished anodized aluminum one. Front plastic lenses still clouded though after few years.

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had trs kit for about a year now and no problems. My friend had ddm when it happened. So maybe get trs kit if you want?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It has to do with the power dissapation, quality of the kit doesnt make a difference. I thought mine was fine too, until I took it apart. Im not sure how long it would have taken before output was noticeably degraded.

Im not saying dont buy HID kits, Im just saying to be aware that they are causting damage to your projectors. I live in Canada and this problem would be a bit more pronounced in warmer areas.

What I dont get though: The HID kit was 35W, and the halogen bulb is 55W so why is there more heat from an HID?

·
Registered
213 Posts
It has to do with the power dissapation, quality of the kit doesnt make a difference. I thought mine was fine too, until I took it apart. Im not sure how long it would have taken before output was noticeably degraded.

Im not saying dont buy HID kits, Im just saying to be aware that they are causting damage to your projectors. I live in Canada and this problem would be a bit more pronounced in warmer areas.

What I dont get though: The HID kit was 35W, and the halogen bulb is 55W so why is there more heat from an HID?

Off topic:

Where in ottawa are you located?

·
Registered
345 Posts

Two completely different lighting systems. More heat is put out by a xenon capsule at 35w than a halogen bulb at 55w. A xenon capsule at 50w and higher is almost double the heat from it. Smaller projectors are more prone to burning the bowls than larger ones from less area to dissipate heat. That's why I only recommend OEM bulbs for small projectors.

·
The Dark Knight
68 Posts
Huh, I've had my 55W DDMs for 3 years and have had no damage to my projectors, I had them taken apart not too long ago. What color were your bulbs?

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Off topic:

Where in ottawa are you located?
Why? Is there a scene for mazda3s in Ottawa? Im in a group of car enthusiasts on facebook. Want me to invite you? I usually bring the G to meets though.

Huh, I've had my 55W DDMs for 3 years and have had no damage to my projectors, I had them taken apart not too long ago. What color were your bulbs?
Pretty sure I stated it in my OP, 6000K.

Dont know, could be isolated incident. Could be I drive more at night than you do. I frequently drive between cities at night.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts