2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2010 Mazda 3 and they only gave me one key. Before this one (approximately 6 months ago) I had a 2009 Mazda 3, also with only one key. With the 2009 I followed the online steps to program a fob myself and it worked perfectly. The same steps do not, however, work with my 2010. Is there something I am doing wrong? Has anyone else ever programmed a fob for a 2010?

To be clear, these are the steps I am using (per a forum online):
Close door, open door, lock unlock, keep door open
Put key in ignition, turn to on then off 3 times, keep in ignition
Close and open door 3 times, leaving door open
Press button on key fob

Like I said, this worked with 2009 but not 2010. I did buy a new kind of fob that is suppose to work with a 2010 but perhaps I bought the wrong one. When I do those steps the locks do respond by locking and unlocking themselves but when I press the buttons on the fob there is no response.

Help! I'd rather not spend tons of cash at the dealership if I can help it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're almost right, here are the correct instructions. (The procedure you referenced says to press a button on each remote ONCE to program it, this is incorrect. You have to press the button TWICE on each remote.)

NOTE: This is only for switchblade style and seperate key/remote fob only. Will not work with credit card type keys/remote. I have used this procedure successfully on a 2009 Mazda3, 2010 Mazda3 and 2011 Mazda CX-7.

Remote programming instructions

Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Please be aware that there are two different fob frequency used by Mazda. 315 mhz and 433 mhz. I found out the hard way getting a 433 mhz fob when my 2011 Mazda 3S needed 315 mhz. Just like the key transponder in most newer Mazda's are 80 bit but my car is 40 bit. When in doubt get 80 bit since it is backwards compatible to 40 bit. 40 bit won't work on an 80 bit system. Thank the internet world of information resources. Be aware that some locksmith have cloning key transponder equipment and the two keys you may have on a used Mazda won't let you program a 3rd key since the car needs two different transponder IDs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're almost right, here are the correct instructions. (The procedure you referenced says to press a button on each remote ONCE to program it, this is incorrect. You have to press the button TWICE on each remote.)

NOTE: This is only for switchblade style and seperate key/remote fob only. Will not work with credit card type keys/remote. I have used this procedure successfully on a 2009 Mazda3, 2010 Mazda3 and 2011 Mazda CX-7.

Remote programming instructions

Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks. You're done!
Thanks for the updated info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 2011 mazda 3i touring new keys wont program i tryed turning key on and off 3 times and closing and opening it did go into programing mode but remote would not unlock door

1 - 8 of 8 Posts