2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have instructions or a link for programming an auxiliary key for the Advanced Keyless Entry system in the GT? I'm speaking of a spare chipped/transponder key - not a switchblade key, but the solid key that slides in and out of the AKE key fob.

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
I have yet to find anyone who can do this on the newer AKE fob. Only those licensed key operators (which aren't going to give up their secrets easily) have the ability. :laugh2: Shopping around for a locksmith who does cars might save you some money from the stealership...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have yet to find anyone who can do this on the newer AKE fob. Only those licensed key operators (which aren't going to give up their secrets easily) have the ability. :laugh2: Shopping around for a locksmith who does cars might save you some money from the stealership...
Yes, it can be pricey.

I like to keep a back-up spare key to the original 2 that come with the car. I've been able to program a spare chipped AKE key on newish models, where you are able to insert the keys into the ignition. However, with the 14+ and push button ignition, there is no longer a place to insert the keys. I wonder if just bringing the keys close enough to "push" the ignition on would be sufficient for programming?

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
However, with the 14+ and push button ignition, there is no longer a place to insert the keys. I wonder if just bringing the keys close enough to "push" the ignition on would be sufficient for programming?
On my 2013, as mentioned in previous post, there is a way to insert the key (but not turn). You have to remove a cover and insert the key, THEN push the start button. On some models (my dad does NOT have the AKE on his 2014 CX5), you do what you described in the event of a dead battery in the FOB.

I put my phone number on my keys. I figure if I happen to misplace one, the average person is likely to return it if they knew how. A small percentage of people would be brazen enough to steal your car if they found your key on the ground.

The AKE is a nice feature when the car is new and everything works, but I would rather have a good old fashioned $1.50 key to open my doors for when the electronic motors start to go. For those of you who don't keep cars long, no big deal. For those of us who keep our cars over 10 years, I foresee a costly expense in the future.

The only hope for a cheap replacement is if/when a disgruntled employee leaves their job and knows a 'back door' to programming these new keys. UNLESS, Mazda specifically made it impossible to do without a special gadget...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 14+ does have a keyed ignition that's just covered by a blank. You put in the key you still have to push the button to start.
Not sure I fully understand. Are you saying there is an ignition key slot under the "Engine Start Stop" button cover?

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
Not sure I fully understand. Are you saying there is an ignition key slot under the "Engine Start Stop" button cover?
No. Not under the start button. But some models (like mine), have a slot (it has a cover) near the start button. It is about the same size. You have to remove the cover with a small screwdriver by prying it off. I wouldn't recommend using this unless your key fob battery has died.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's as Texan describes. I can't recall exactly where without going outside and looking. I only know about it because my salesman showed me when I picked up my 15 GT sedan a couple months ago.

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
The 14+ does have a keyed ignition that's just covered by a blank. You put in the key you still have to push the button to start.
I noticed that a friend of mine who has a 2015 I-Touring does not have this. They may have done away with it and the car can only be started with the key being placed next to the start button (when the fob battery has died).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I noticed that a friend of mine who has a 2015 I-Touring does not have this. They may have done away with it and the car can only be started with the key being placed next to the start button (when the fob battery has died).
I didn't think my 2015 i Touring had this either, but if Squisher's 2015 has it then maybe we are both wrong on this account. Or, the salesman is wrong and just assuming it is the same as the 2013 and earlier. ;-)

IIRC the manual says you just hold the key right up against the start button if the fob has a dead battery. Although, perhaps the hidden key slot is for if the car's proximity system somehow otherwise has failed? I don't know. I'll have to look for it.

My sales rep did show me the key that pulls out of the fob. The only keyhole I knew of was in the driver's door though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
2015 gt is top of the line canadian spec. My car is loaded, luxury and tech. I assumed all ake cars would be the same. I'll have a quick look here this morning and tell you exactly where the plug is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IIRC the manual says you just hold the key right up against the start button if the fob has a dead battery. Although, perhaps the hidden key slot is for if the car's proximity system somehow otherwise has failed? I don't know. I'll have to look for it.

My sales rep did show me the key that pulls out of the fob. The only keyhole I knew of was in the driver's door though.
pffft, crow tastes terrible this early. You are exactly right. My apologies, Texans description was so spot on to me the salesman must have showed me in the '13, I could've sworn it was on delivery of the fifteen. I finally got off my arse and looked and no there is no plug for the key.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok then, sounds like no hidden dash keyhole in the 14+.

I thought maybe there could be a variance by country, I know we have people from various countries here. But it sounds like probably not. I think all the 2014+ AKE cars are going to be the same in that regard.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the responses. Going back to the OP, it sounds like no one has yet tried programming a spare chipped/transponder key on the 14+ AKE cars. Makes me wonder if the same instruction set for the earlier AKE cars (with the removable cap over the key slot) would work; ie substitute bringing each key to the push button and "pushing" the ignition to "on" for inserting the keys and "turning" the ignition to "on".

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
.Makes me wonder if the same instruction set for the earlier AKE cars (with the removable cap over the key slot) would work; ie substitute bringing each key to the push button and "pushing" the ignition to "on" for inserting the keys and "turning" the ignition to "on".
If you could be the pioneer and try it and let us all know, we would be very appreciative. :nerd:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts