2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CorkSport is pleased to announce the release of the 2010+ Mazda 3 Sedan third brake light for your trunk lid!

The CorkSport Mazda 3 Sedan 3rd Brake Light will enhance the look of your lights with a direct replacement LED brake light for the trunk of the Mazda 3 sedan. This premium quality light assembly includes nine LED lights in the lens and has been built for durability and reliability. Precision manufactured to match the OEM factory specifications, the CorkSport LED Trunk Light is easy to install is the perfect addition to your Mazda 3 sedan.

As with all of our CorkSport parts, the Mazda 3 Sedan LED 3rd Brake Light comes with a limited two year warranty, full color installation instructions, and knowledgeable telephone support.

It can be purchased at CorkSport Mazda Performance - 360-260-CORK for just $69.00.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'll be getting this. But going to make my trail lights led 1st. I love lights :p. But what i'm mainly interested in is. A ms3 front end conversion for the mz3 sedan. Or aftermarket appearance products. I need a 2.5 rear bumber. I'll probably go to CS's partner located near me on Atlantic. Lou Bachrodt. I've talked to them. But yeah. Anything about a ms3 front conversion? I want UT so bad.

·
zoom freakin' zoom
613 Posts
Installed mine last night. :)

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Interested in knowing if this unit causes problems with cruise control. I have a 2012 with factory LED tail lights (incadescent filiment OEM 3rd brake light) and my car has cruise control.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jp7,
I don't see why the 3rd brake light would have anything to do with cruise control on your vehicle. We have not had any negative reports or any complications with these units.

-Tyler

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Jp7,
I don't see why the 3rd brake light would have anything to do with cruise control on your vehicle.....
I've done my share of LED retrofitting on many vehicles as I've been developing my own circuitboards to replace OEM incandescent bulb setups. Let me try and explain it in simple terms. Different manufacturers use different approaches and many times the SJB/BCM/GEM units monitor the voltage from the 3rd brake light circuit with a transistor to determine if the driver is using the brake. When the driver hits the brake the change in voltage switches the transistor and this input does something with a different circuit. Many times this can be used to cancel the cruise control as obviously cruise is set up so that it turns off when you hit your brake pedal. Since semiconductors (LEDs) are different than a standard bulb (basically a linear resistor) the drop in voltage charecteristic is not the same. The transistor can either think that the brakes are on all the time and cancel the cruise when it is activated or simply not cancel it at all. Sometimes the circuit is modified enough that feedback from running lights or turnsignals being used cause the cruise to go out.

Many new cars use 2 seperate circuits in the brake on/off switch to avoid this, such as found in recent methode circuitry where there is a seperate switch just for the cruise which activates just before the on/off switch for the standard purposes.

When I built my LED 3rd brake light for my Evolution IX i had a problem all of a sudden where my Active Center Differential readout would come on with 3 solid lights (only when my running lights were on) - It turns out Mitsubishi uses a 1.0v signal through the 3rd brakelight when the brakes are off to provide a point of reference if the driver is using the brakes or not. From the factory, this is not enough to illuminate the 7440 bulb used, so it goes unnoticed. I then had to go with a different design and modify my existing design in order to find an engineering solution to the problem.

....We have not had any negative reports or any complications with these units.

-Tyler
That's what I was trying to understand, if anyone with cruise has seen this before. I notice you sell a 3rd brake light only for the sedan however.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If that is correct, then would cruise control not work with a brake light bulb out or any scenario like that? That seems like an odd engineering design to me.. I have not spent a lot of time looking at the cruise control mechanisms on these cars, so you could certainly be more versed on the subject than I. I'll have to check with Brydon on that.

-Tyler

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
If that is correct, then would cruise control not work with a brake light bulb out or any scenario like that? That seems like an odd engineering design to me.. I have not spent a lot of time looking at the cruise control mechanisms on these cars, so you could certainly be more versed on the subject than I. I'll have to check with Brydon on that.

-Tyler
It depends on the car, I've never worked on a Mazda 3 before, I bought the car and this is my first time. All of the Mazda's I've had before this were much older (2004, 1995, 1990) so I'm sure things are different now. If you search on hidplanet for issues with LED swaps you will find tons of interesting things.

·
zoom freakin' zoom
613 Posts
Did you tint the 3rd brake light or is the lens that dark? If it's just smoked then I will get these from CS. THanks
The lens is that dark from CS.

Reactions: daztd1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts