2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help limit your CorkSport Short Ram Intake from sucking in hot air with the CorkSport SkyActiv Cold Air Box for the 2010+ Mazda 3 Skyactiv. By coupling your Short Ram Intake with a cold air box, you will see the benefits of the intake system without the pressure drops inherent to longer tube intakes. Using the CorkSport Cold Air Box helps block hot air from the engine, while keeping open the access to cool air from the inner fender. Our Cold Air Box has undergone extensive testing at various ambient air conditions to verify performance in all conditions.

Available for $99.99 at the link below
Mazda 3 SkyActiv Cold Air Box | SkyActiv Cold Air Box

View the Release Blog Here
CorkSport Mazda Performance – Blog Product Release!! CORKSPORT 2010+ Mazda 3 Skyactiv Air Box for CorkSport SRI

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Do you guys have anything showing the improvement of this over just having the sri?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: chavy

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I agree...they aren't reinventing the wheel...just making one that fits our cars...reducing heat-soak at sustained idle, drawing colder air from the fender, and lengthening time between required filter cleanings by reducing exposure to crud...pretty standard for all airboxes. Good enough for me! :)

Well I think just the main purpose is keep the hot air away rather than just performance gains

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys have anything showing the improvement of this over just having the sri?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
A cold airbox doesn't actually improve performance, it just maintains a consistent air temperature. Essentially you loose power when your intake gets to hot, so if you keep it colder then it will run better consistently.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I couldn't wait and had to go out and take a single rough measurement...ambient is a beautiful 71F in Vancouver today. After a short drive, temp immediately outside the box was 113F and immediately adjacent to the cone filter inside the box was 79F for a 34 degree differential. Woot! :)

Gonna do a series of tests including heatsoak-inducing idles over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Did three separate idles for 3-5 minutes each to heatsoak the engine bay. Again, placed the temp probes immediately adjacent to the filter in the box and directly outside the box. After each idle I drove for 5-7 minutes to flush some air and took another reading. Ambient temperature ranged from 71-74F at the time of the tests.

3 minute idle:
131F outside box
102F inside box
29 degree differential
after driving:
110F outside box
85F inside box
25 degree differential

4 minute idle:
145F outside box
118F inside box
27 degree differential
after driving:
114F outside box
82F inside box
32 degree differential

5 minute idle
151F outside box
127F inside box
24 degree differential
after driving:
111F outside box
85F inside box
26 degree differential

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@tastic, hey just checked out the numbers, looks good! Thanks for doing this testing, it's pretty awesome to see it actually working for a real person (not just CorkSport persons... we aren't real).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts