2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if others have had problems with the auto setting on the headlights and wipers.

One morning, I turned the car on, and the windshield wipers (on auto) kept going. It was humid that morning. Put them off and went on.

This morning is dry, and they did the same thing with my wife.

We initially tried running the headlights on auto. Oftentimes, they'd come on in bright daylight in tree shaded areas of the highway. The dash light would then dim, making them almost unreadable. We quit using this setting on the lights.

For the wipers, the auto setting is the same as intermittent on other trims of the 3. It seems to work fine for that, but you generally don't want to leave it there because of these startups in the garage we've observed.

Ralph

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wondering if others have had problems with the auto setting on the headlights and wipers.

One morning, I turned the car on, and the windshield wipers (on auto) kept going. It was humid that morning. Put them off and went on.

We initially tried running the headlights on auto. Oftentimes, they'd come on in bright daylight in tree shaded areas of the highway. The dash light would then dim, making them almost unreadable. We quit using this setting on the lights.

For the wipers, the auto setting is the same as intermittent on other trims of the 3. It seems to work fine for that, but you generally don't want to leave it there because of these startups in the garage we've observed.

Ralph
My wipers are not too bad but I prefer to use a flick wipe as required.
However the lights are very erratic, most often coming on in bright sunlight so I have adjusted my dashboard lights up to compensate. I don't drive much at night so its not too bad. It might be you need to clean the windscreen over the sensor.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The auto lights have a total of 5 sensitivities and the default is right in the middle, which I found to be too sensitive. I adjusted to the lowest setting and it has been much better, only turning on when it's dark(er) out.

I haven't had any issues with my auto-wipers other than the usual complaint, that if you turn off the car in mid-wipe it'll stay there. I guess other cars have motors that finish the wipe. No big deal here, just push the start button twice for aux power to finish the cycle or leave as is.

I love the auto features! Just love to "push" the car off, exit, close the door and walk away. No lights, wipers, or locks to mess with. So nice and simple.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd try giving the windshield where the sensors are located a deep clean. Also you can adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights in the settings.

·
Registered
422 Posts
For me, I found too that you need to adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights. I did notice one odd thing though. It has happened to me multiple times that when I was driving around at dust, the headlights would turn on.. .then coming to a stop for longer than normal (maybe a long light) they would turn off. The moment I hit the gas, they would come back on. At first I thought I was seeing things but then confirmed. I have not noticed this "auto off" feature when it is truly dark (thank goodness).. but not sure why it is doing what it is doing.

In addition, there is a setting I believe that is different for the "Auto Dim" of the HUD and the headlights. I can't remember if it was a delay or just a flat "don't dim" setting but I do know you can adjust it differently that the headlights.

As for the wipers, I really do enjoy that. Although I have noticed that they run a bit long after the windows is dry but worse case, I may just have to replace the wipers sooner than later. No big deal for such a nice feature.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I find the auto headlights work perfectly, never had a single glitch.

The wipers on the other hand can be twitchy. Don't get me wrong, they work well and I love them.

I keep the sensitivity dialed down to the lowest. The sensor area on the windshield must be clean or they can start going off.

During plain every day rain, they work flawlessly. It's the other conditions...sometimes thick fog can start them going. Salt on the road I just turn them off. The salt gets smeared across the windshield and the sensor thinks it's rain. They'll run full tilt making the situation worse. Better to flick and spray as needed. Same goes for freezing rain. The odd time the sensor can also get tricked by light snow.

If yours starts going off for no reason, use the washer fluid. Usually works for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where is the sensitivity settings for the wipers? I found the one for the headlights, thanks EadzaM.
It's on the stalk. You turn the ring about 2/3 way along the stalk towards the end between the "-" and "+" settings. They're basically the # of wipes on the Auto, which is the intermittent wipe setting, between Off and 1st speed. Think "-" is less sensitive or fewer wipes, and "+" is more sensitive or more wipes.

I haven't found the one for the headlights yet. Apparently, it's in one of the 2 Infotainment settings areas.

Ralph

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's on the stalk. You turn the ring about 2/3 way along the stalk towards the end between the "-" and "+" settings. They're basically the # of wipes on the Auto, which is the intermittent wipe setting, between Off and 1st speed. Think "-" is less sensitive or fewer wipes, and "+" is more sensitive or more wipes.

I haven't found the one for the headlights yet. Apparently, it's in one of the 2 Infotainment settings areas.

Ralph
Thanks much. I thought that was for the rear wiper.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ralph
I get the same problem of auto light changing daylight and dark, doesn’t not changed have you solved this?

anas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts