2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a somewhat odd issue that I'm trying to figure out, especially with the current WI temps now in the 20's!

I have a 2010 Mazda3s hatchback, MT, with the standard climate control system (not the auto CC).

The issue I'm having is this: when the fan-location knob is turned all the way to the left, and all the air is supposed to be blowing at face level from the dashboard, a large percentage of air is coming out of the feet vents. Even when I have the fan speed cranked up all the way, the air coming out of the dash is really wimpy.

I can get it to work correctly occasionally if I turn the knob back and forth a couple (dozen) times, but it's always a crap shoot and I can't get it to consistently work. It sucks because when it's cold outside, I can't get hot air to blow out of the dash!

And to clarify, when I have the knob turned all the way to the right, 100% of the air does come out of the windshield vents. When the knob is at 12 o'clock position, 100% of the air comes out at my feet. It is only when I want air to come out of the front dash that the blending is messed up and it comes out at my feet.

Thanks for any help or input!

Sam

·
Registered
53 Posts
If the car is under warranty get that baby to the shop. If not, then your probably looking at some type of module under the dash that switches the vent output. You may also be looking at a vacuum leak as well. In any case if it is some type of module, then mazda would probably be your only bet on parts for that type of problem.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
it's not a electronic module, the two knobs on both sides of the standard climate controls are operated by a metal wire, something like a pulley system. only the middle knob is electronic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately it is out of warranty.

After looking through the shop manual for about an hour, yes it does appear to be potentially related to the cable that connects the vent knob to the blend door(s). I don't have a pic, but it is the left-most climate control knob, the one where you choose either defrost, feet, or vent. The problem occurs when that knob is turned all the way to the left to the "vent" setting (knob at approximately 7:30 o'clock rotationally).

Here's what is weird... Last night I spent about 15 minutes in the car trying to see what (if anything) I could do to fix or replicate the problem. I had a hard time getting the problem to happen, even with turning the knob back and forth. Normally I have to turn the knob back and forth a ton to get it to the issue to go away, but for whatever reason last night it was opposite: no air came out of the feet area, then after twisting a bunch, I could get the problem to happen. Then when I twisted it again, it worked per normal.

I'm wondering if the cable is getting snagged on something, but only randomly?

Mazda wants $116 just to "diagnose the problem," then the sky's the limit from there I'm sure. The shop manual showed about 15 things needed to be removed to get to the climate control center (doors, dash, etc), so I'm not exactly thrilled at the thought of paying a crap ton of money for them to solve this problem by jiggling a cable around behind the dash!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

This morning when I first started the car (it's parked outside and was ~32F last night) the issue was there. The air was obviously cold at first, and a lot seemed to leak out of the foot area when the knob was set to the chest high vent only setting.

Then as the car warmed up and the air started to blow hot, when I twisted the knob back and forth to the vent setting, the issue seemed to go away! Once everything was warmed up I could only get the air to leak out of the foot area approximately 1 out of 10 times (turning knob all the way right, then left).

This is weird! Is this an issue I should just chalk up to thermal contraction and expansion? I think I can live with this issue as it is in the winter, so long as it isn't a problem 100% of the time in summer when I need my cold A/C haha!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update:

This morning when I first started the car (it's parked outside and was ~32F last night) the issue was there. The air was obviously cold at first, and a lot seemed to leak out of the foot area when the knob was set to the chest high vent only setting.

Then as the car warmed up and the air started to blow hot, when I twisted the knob back and forth to the vent setting, the issue seemed to go away! Once everything was warmed up I could only get the air to leak out of the foot area approximately 1 out of 10 times (turning knob all the way right, then left).

This is weird! Is this an issue I should just chalk up to thermal contraction and expansion? I think I can live with this issue as it is in the winter, so long as it isn't a problem 100% of the time in summer when I need my cold A/C haha!
My car had the EXACT same issue. Living in Louisiana and using cold A/C all the time, it got annoying. Dealer fixed it (warranty) but on my receipt it says something about just adjusting the blend door cable. It only took them about 15 minutes so I assume it isn't a hard task :stuart:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does this too!!! Theres a knob or something under the steering wheel that just needs to be adjusted. I cant find it for the life of me. But the dealership fixes it for free whenever it "breaks"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts