2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Who's the dip?

• You're the dip

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Dipstick most likely wasn't inserted properly

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Something else (excess crankcase pressure, bad PCV, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

Last few days my girlfriend and I both noticed an odor coming through the heat in our '14 3s with 26K. Finally I open the hood up (should have done it days ago) and low and behold, oil has spilled out from the dipstick tube all over the plastic cover over the engine. Cleaned up the oil best I could for now, reinserted dipstick and so far no issues. Even had a buddy rev the shit out of the engine while I watched and didn't see the dipstick budge.

Now, the last time I checked my oil levels was probably close to 3 weeks ago. I've done this countless times and can't imagine I did not reinsert the dipstick properly but I'm not going to discount it as a possibility. (I always twist to make sure it's in there so I'm really skeptical)

What are everyone's thoughts? Was I most likely a dip and didn't reinsert all the way - or could I have a crank case pressure issue caused by a bad PCV, etc?

I plan on more thoroughly cleaning the plastic cover and monitoring this. I still have a year or 10K left on my bumper to bumper warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only thing you should twist to seal is the oil fill cap, not the dipstick.
You're just supposed to reinsert the dipstick until it bottoms out
I would say you probably just left a gap in the dipstick and it caused oil to spill out while you drove

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing you should twist to seal is the oil fill cap, not the dipstick.
You're just supposed to reinsert the dipstick until it bottoms out
I would say you probably just left a gap in the dipstick and it caused oil to spill out while you drove
Thank you. I twist after it bottoms out as an extra measure to make sure it's in there (might be unnecessary but just a habit), which is why I'm concerned. I always take good care in ensuring it's back in there properly.

Again, I'm skeptical that I would put it back incorrectly but I'm not under the illusion that I'm perfect, either. I actually hope that this ends up being the case and there's not some other issue that'll come up again.

Check the o-rings on the dipstick and oil cap just for fun. Not clear which is leaking from your pic.
Thanks - will do. Hope the o-rings are fine after only 26K. Almost certain it's the dipstick - can't recall if it was sticking out a bit when I discovered the problem but I think it was.

For the record, I do all basic maintenance on my own - oil changes, brakes, etc.. so I don't consider myself a complete n00b. haha

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
With the way you're twisting the dipstick I'm thinking you may have torn the orings or maybe shifted them out of place

Regardless, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As others have said give the o-ring on the dipstick a check to make sure it isn't damaged and preventing it from seating properly. From the looks of it I agree and say it came from the dipstick tube.

If the o-ring looks good replace the dipstick and make sure it's in there and fully seated. Don't worry about it unless it happens again. Be sure to top up your oil if necessary.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has it happened again? If not, it was probably not seated correctly. If it does, it could be a clogged or stuck PCV valve.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
if you have not resolved this issue, it maybe worth taking the cover off and looking to see if you can determine the source of the leak, like others above twisting the dipstick is a no no and can mess up the o rings. I would get some good engine degreaser (gunk heavy duty gel comes to mind) and clean the cover and under the cover off really well and keep an eye on it every time you drive to see if it comes back or has resolved with reinserting the dispstick. pcv valves are just ball valves that either keep flow in r out by pressure change pulling the ball one way or the other, and don't fail often even on high mileage cars, I had a 03 protégé 5 had the factory pcv valve on it at 150,000 miles I changed it and the old one was pristsine and still working fine but for $1.50+tax why not it was just pop old one out pop new one in put hose on, the 04-13 non skyactiv motors they stupidly put it under the intake manifold instead of on top of the block like older cars so intake manifold removal is required, where exactly it is on skyactiv's I am not 100% but at only 26k I highly doubt your pcv valve is to blame here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts