2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rust sucks. Move to TX.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all

I do all my own car work...the one time I brought my car in (happened to be my new Mazda 3 for its free oil change) they failed to fill the oil to the correct level....

Anyway, I have made a document that I have shown to 2 different dealers, both of which say that if I fill it out whenever doing my own service, and then staple receipts to it (oil/filter etc) I should have zero problems with warranty. It is based on our scheduled maintenance and recommended maintenance schedule from the manual, along with talking to the service guys at Mazda. They said when I first purchased the car my service tech said that some people 'do their own work' and don't keep very good records, so they end up having a heck of a time with the dealer.

Just fill the attached form out (like they do there) whenever doing your service. The first 3/4 of it should be done "any time you do any service" and there are some you can draw a line through if it is not time for that (ie spark plugs etc). This works for 5k checkup-1000000k check up (when you replace belts etc, put that in the comments).

You may have to tweak a few things, for example my document only has stuff for the manual transmission.

Let me know (thank) if this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
nice looking form. i've kept all my reciepts and services done, and started a service log. i even kept my window sticker.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice form. Much better laid out than the Mazda one at the back of the manual. That one is just too busy to read quickly at a glance to see what has been done.

·
Registered
471 Posts
this looks great. but could you not just put 'OK' in all boxes and lie? receipts are handy but i'm just saying.

also...what do you lube the hinges with? i'd rather do this myself but not sure what material they use.

·
Rust sucks. Move to TX.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
WD-40 or liquid wrench for locks. I put some water resistant grease on hinges usually (hadn't needed to with this car yet).

Yes, you could just put "OK" or check the box. But last time I was at the dealer the guy came back after the oil change and said "I skipped this stuff since its a new car, that ok with you?" and all the boxes were checked....so they do it too. Makes me wonder how many people get a 'full inspection' when they pay for it... and that's why I don't like shops/dealers. That's also why you sign it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On MyMazda dot com, they also allow you to keep track of service. If the dealer does any service, then they automatically enter the record. If you do your own service, they allow you to enter the details in your own record.

·
Rust sucks. Move to TX.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. I just did my 5k checkup myself, logged into mymazda.com, and uploaded a scanned copy of it. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts