2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Previous generation Speeds seats fit 2010+???

35K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  jordan.mz3 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone have access to a previous generation Speed 3 to see if the seat mounts are the same as our 2010+ 3's?? I wonder if the airbag plug is the same too?

I routinely see good prices on these and wonder if they would fit.

I found a set of the 2009 seats with Alcantara for a great price locally, and am not sure I want to let them pass by!

See less See more
#7 ·
Just an initial follow up in case anyone is contemplating this swap.

Emailed Kidos friend and he said that 3 of 4 bolts are direct if you use the Speed rails, not sure if switcing rails is an option yet. Drivers seat electrical plugs right in but passenger side does not.

I should have my new seats bolted in tomorrow afternoon and will post more info as it comes available.

Thanks Kido!

#11 ·
Front and rear seats are in the car. The rears are a direct swap and fit great.

There was no way for me to tell which airbag wire was positive and which was negative, so initial testing and the light is still on, so I guess I have the passenger side backwards since I tested it with the 2010 drivers seat still in.

Once I get the passenger side wires correct, that will tell me which is which for the drivers side.

All the sensor wires are connected on both front seats. Those were the easy part.

Sorry for the lack of progress. I have been working on the stereo and a new GT rear bumper cover.

This was before any cleaning/conditioning:
I'm a little confused? Any difference in passenger wiring? Did you have to solder anything?

#8 ·
looking fwd to seeing this done..

#10 · (Edited)

There was no way for me to tell which airbag wire was positive and which was negative, so initial testing and the light is still on, so I guess I have the passenger side backwards since I tested it with the 2010 drivers seat still in.

Once I get the passenger side wires correct, that will tell me which is which for the drivers side.

All the sensor wires are connected on both front seats. Those were the easy part.

Sorry for the lack of progress. I have been working on the stereo and a new GT rear bumper cover.

This was before any cleaning/conditioning:

#14 ·
So I'm thinking about swapping out the drivers seat on my '12 Mazda3 Skyactiv 5-dr. The lumbar portion of the stock seat is problematic for me. I'm a little unclear as to the results of the above project. Specifically, it says the rears are a direct swap, but doesnt say anything about the fronts. Does the drivers seat require modding, or can I bolt it right in?

Thanks in advance,

#18 ·
Its been awhile since anyone posted in this thread. Im looking for a set of seats for my Mazda 3 2.5 Hatch. The seats in it currently suck. They have no lumbar support and they just don't have enough bucket, so I feel like im always tilted forward which causes me no end to back problems.

Will the Previous Gen im guessing Gen 1 2010 fit in a 2011 Mazda 3? Are there different Generation 2011s?

Should I just go with an after market seat and try to rig the airbag with a resistor? If so any suggestions?

#19 ·
I can answer this, as I have researched the topic extensively and implemented a solution.

All the seats in the current generation 3's (2011-2013) are the same, with the exception of the Speed seats. The Speed seats are electric and are not compatible with the manual models (ie. you cant adjust them).

Previous generation Speed seats DO fit in the current model 3's, but not perfectly. 3 of the 4 bolts match up and work fine. The fourth bolt, the outside rear bolt (under the B-pillar), does not line up. The airbag connectors are not compatible. The tracks from the different seats cannot be changed (in an attempt to resolve the bolt matching issue).

After learning all this, I decided to go ahead with the swap. I have a 2013 Mazda3 hatch with a 2006 Speed3 drivers seat installed. I tightened the 3 bolts and the seat feels secure; no wobbling or whatnot. The red airbag light on the cluster comes on intermittently (interestingly, its a random pattern). To me, it is not intrusive or distracting. I am pleased with the swap.

Attachments

#20 ·
I have a 2013 Mazda3 hatch with a 2006 Speed3 drivers seat installed. I tightened the 3 bolts and the seat feels secure; no wobbling or whatnot. The red airbag light on the cluster comes on intermittently (interestingly, its a random pattern). To me, it is not intrusive or distracting. I am pleased with the swap.
The 2013 Mazda3s are out already?

#27 ·
i know this is a very old thread but for anyone looking to do this swap onto a 2nd gen mazda3, here's what i've found through the process of installing mine:

• the rear bench seat will line up on all 2nd gen 3's, but an an FYI, the speed3 rear bench does NOT have a middle seatbelt, so you're basically gonna have a 2+2 setup if you install these. not that anyone can really fit in the middle back seat anyway...
  • The rear outer bolt on the driver's seat is slightly off from the original bolt hole from the oem seat, but i've found that if you tighten the other 3 bolts pretty good you won't have any issues with creaks/movement
  • for 2010-11 3's, you should have no problems with airbag warning lights
  • for 2012-13 3's, you will have a "passenger airbag off" warning light. this is because, as i discovered while at a local pick n pull, during the 2012 facelift, mazda apparently changed the wiring harness under the passenger seat, but not the driver seat. the passenger wiring harness still fits, but not all of the wires themselves line up, thus the airbag light.
Regardless, i still love these seats so much, they're probably my favorite modification on my car <3

Car Automotive design Fixture Personal luxury car Auto part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.