2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue - at 12,500 miles the clutch pedal in my '16 2.5 6 speed was engaging at the very top of the pedal travel with no free play. Mazda replaced the pressure plate at no charge (even thought the wear item coverage for the warranty ended at 12k) for which I was grateful, because the pressure plate springs had "failed".

Now we're at 34k, and it's happening again - the Mazda dealer confirms that the clutch's engagement point is out of spec (too high) and is reaching out to the factory to get authorization to do a tear down.

Anyone else with this issue? I know that there are significant clutch issues with the 2010-2015 3's (there's a class-action lawsuit) but haven't heard anything about the '16's.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
No experience with Mazda's manuals but have worked on many other cars with manual gearboxes. If the original pressure plate was bad and had abnormal wear then the flywheel might have had some abnormal wear. If this happened and they did not replace or resurface the flywheel it would cause the replacement pressure plate to wear abnormally. I know in a lot of modern cars the manufacturers go with lighter flywheels (think thin) and they can not be resurfaced only replaced. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
That's an odd one.the springs on any pressure plate are pretty heavy and generally don't fail easily.

If I had to guess I'd say the clutch cylinder might not be set up correctly. If its pushing too hard on the pressure plate fingers, it might be putting excessive force on the pins that hold the springs in and could break.

I'm really doubting it being a flywheel issue as that would cause abnormal friction surface wear on the pressure plate but shouldn't affect the springs. It would have to be right messed to affect the springs.

I'm very curious as to the root cause here.

BTW the old lawsuit is unrelated. Supposedly that was an issue with the bearing and cylinder where the pressure plate wouldn't fully engage when the clutch is let out. Excessive slip wears the disc out fast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts