2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my right rear strut was leaking fluid the last time I was cleaning my Mazda. Car has just over 20k miles (32k km) so I am bummed that it is already bad. I saw that another user on here had a bad RR strut so I am just wondering if this is a common issue. Good news is that it's an excuse to get new suspension parts!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had my left rear shock replaced under warranty for the same issue

Don

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you were planning on suspension parts might as well do it now. I do have the OEM parts except the front left laying around currently just sitting away on eBay lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my left rear shock replaced under warranty for the same issue

Don
Thanks for sharing. I was not even going to visit my dealer because I assumed they consider suspension components as "wear item" such as brakes. I may have to stop by this week and see what they say.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I was not even going to visit my dealer because I assumed they consider suspension components as "wear item" such as brakes. I may have to stop by this week and see what they say.
Yeah I brought my car in, explained the issue, fell under the 3/36 bumper to bumper. Not really considered a wear item like wiper blades or brake pads.

Don

·
Registered
988 Posts
When switching springs today my mechanic told me that the RR strut was leaking and pretty much "done", it seems that this is a pretty common problem! I was very surprised, my car is only 10 months old!

I'll take it to the dealership this week to get it fix under warranty. Hopefully they won't blame the new installed springs for the failure of RR Strut ! I'll keep you updated in the next coming days!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,569 Posts
When switching springs today my mechanic told me that the RR strut was leaking and pretty much "done", it seems that this is a pretty common problem! I was very surprised, my car is only 10 months old!

I'll take it to the dealership this week to get it fix under warranty. Hopefully they won't blame the new installed springs for the failure of RR Strut ! I'll keep you updated in the next coming days!
This might be a good excuse to install a new set of Koni FSDs. Just saying.:smile2:

·
Registered
988 Posts
This might be a good excuse to install a new set of Koni FSDs. Just saying.:smile2:
Lol I know!!! But I haven't found anyone in Israel who sells those here! They offered me KSPORT Coilovers but I read on the forum they would not suit our Mazda's, so didn't take the chance despite the fact that the provider offered me that option.

My wife is going to the US in October, so maybe I'll ask her to bring the Koni FSD's to me lol. Additionally, I could buy them online, but I will have to pay for shipping, taxes and customs! :frown2: Last option is checking if they sell Bilstein's here... For now gotta get this fixed ASAP!

Update!

RR Strut got replaced under warranty from Official Authorized Mazda Dealership! They didn't noticed the springs or told me anything about it, they just replaced it and in less than 1 hour I was out of there. Now my OCD is curious and I'm wondering if they put a used Strut or maybe not OEM one lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FSDs are they way to go

I decided to not go back to my dealership and just order the FSD struts. With all OEM struts replaced, the car feels so much better. Body roll has decreased, bumps feel well absorbed, and overall ride quality is more refined. In my opinion, it should have been this way from the factory. I am still on the stock springs by the way. I highly recommend these struts for everyone. You will not regret it.

I have to mention that the pictured spring compressor is available on Amazon for about $100 (USD) and it is SO worth it. It makes the job less scary.

Attachments

·
*The Electrician*
899 Posts
Hmm so the FSD's are just the strut correct? I might consider those for autocross next year. Are they adjustable at all?

·
Super Moderator
5,569 Posts
Hmm so the FSD's are just the strut correct? I might consider those for autocross next year. Are they adjustable at all?
The FSDs are replacements for the front and rear OEM dampers. They don't have an adjustment knob like the Koni Yellows. However, they do have an internal system that changes the damping force on the fly according to driving demands.

https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technology/FSD/

·
Registered
67 Posts
You'll want the Koni Sports if you want to have adjustability. Running them on my car and have them set at about 25% of stiffness, really happy with how they preform on the crappy roads around here.

·
*The Electrician*
899 Posts
The FSDs are replacements for the front and rear OEM dampers. They don't have an adjustment knob like the Koni Yellows. However, they do have an internal system that changes the damping force on the fly according to driving demands.

https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technology/FSD/
Hmm they sound intriguing, might consider those once I obtain a 2nd vehicle specifically for racing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hmm they sound intriguing, might consider those once I obtain a 2nd vehicle specifically for racing.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend them for autocross. I feel like they would be too soft. The struts offer the best of performance and comfort in my opinion. Great for a daily

·
Super Moderator
5,569 Posts
I wouldn't recommend them for autocross. I feel like they would be too soft. The struts offer the best of performance and comfort in my opinion. Great for a daily ?
Ever used them? Soft in relation to what? As long as the dampening rates are compatible with the spring rates they will be fine.
What struts? :dunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@arathol
Well so far, I have been driving around with the FSDs and I don't feel like they would be my first pick for autocross. I would rather have the Koni Sports or a high quality coilover like a set of Bilsteins. I had Koni Sports on my last car and I feel that the FSDs are more compliant than the Sports. You're right that as long as the dampening rates are compatible with the spring rates that it will be fine, but I was trying to say that the FSDs would not be my first pick for a dedicated track/autocross car.

·
Super Moderator
5,569 Posts
Compliance is a good thing. It means you are keeping all your tires in contact with the pavement. Stiff does not always equal good.
You are still on stock springs that have a very soft rate, that is what you are experiencing. Get some good performance springs to go with those FSDs and you'll see the difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts