2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm shopping around for a Mazda 3 and I'm really struggling to figure out what I really want in my (possible) new car. I'm torn between the sedan and hatchback (leaning more towards the latter though :wink2: ), but the biggest thing is trim level. I really would like a Premium, but a Preferred definitely more manageable price wise. The three biggest things I want are a sunroof (premium only), the red/white interior (premium only, unless I go for griege but then I would still have a black dashboard), and the look of the signature DRLs (also premium only). The only thing is that I'm not sure if those features are really worth an extra 2,300 considering I don't really care about things like the HUD, paddle shifters, or adaptive lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I'm going with the sedan as the "hunchback" is too much for my tastes. I've been quoted at 25K out the door for a Preferred, and 26.5K out the door for a Premium. The Preferred model has all of the key features I need, minus the sunroof which is the main deal breaker of the Preferred model.

The Premium model's head-up display is neat, and is definitely a major step up from the pop-up unit from last generation. And the sunroof is a must have, a long with the light colored dashboard as well. Is it worth an extra $1,500 though? I'm not too sure. The Preferred really has everything you need, and nothing you don't.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Preferred in Machine Grey Metallic
173 Posts
My son purchased the Preferred model and he absolutely loves it, as do I! The simple fact is while a sunroof is a nice amenity, in my 2012 Honda CR-V I rarely use it. In Virginia, the price difference was about $2,500. You may want to check out this video before making your decision. Several of this reviewer's complaints are Premium model specific.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I'm going with the sedan as the "hunchback" is too much for my tastes. I've been quoted at 25K out the door for a Preferred, and 26.5K out the door for a Premium. The Preferred model has all of the key features I need, minus the sunroof which is the main deal breaker of the Preferred model.

The Premium model's head-up display is neat, and is definitely a major step up from the pop-up unit from last generation. And the sunroof is a must have, a long with the light colored dashboard as well. Is it worth an extra $1,500 though? I'm not too sure. The Preferred really has everything you need, and nothing you don't.
Not an easy choice for me either.

The red leather, polymetal color availability and heads up in the premium are things I would really like but I do not want a sun roof , something I would never use which adds cost, compromises headroom, weight, body integrity. Do not like the black wheels either.
I'm leaning towards the base soul red hatch with the greige interior, with a good price/equipment ratio, and plenty nice to look at , 4 grand cheaper.

I am not looking at sedans, but were I, the light colored dash reflecting in the windshield is a concern I would check on first.
I'm Not to going to buy an all black interior.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The only thing is that I'm not sure if those features are really worth an extra 2,300 considering I don't really care about things like the HUD, paddle shifters, or adaptive lights.
Sounds like you really talked yourself into the Premium...If you need a little nudge then the adaptive headlights are worth it and you will absolutely notice a difference on certain roads. I don't use the paddle shifters much myself and more of a sport mode guy. I find I use them more if I need to downshift on a hill. So I have the 2017 with the popup HUD and I don't mind it and use it all the time. Just saw the review about the issue on the 2019 with the shaky display on the windshield over bumpy roads. Would be curious to hear if anyone else experiences that issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like you really talked yourself into the Premium...If you need a little nudge then the adaptive headlights are worth it and you will absolutely notice a difference on certain roads. I don't use the paddle shifters much myself and more of a sport mode guy. I find I use them more if I need to downshift on a hill. So I have the 2017 with the popup HUD and I don't mind it and use it all the time. Just saw the review about the issue on the 2019 with the shaky display on the windshield over bumpy roads. Would be curious to hear if anyone else experiences that issue.

Yeah me too. I do however, have a CX5 with the windshield projected display and there is no shaking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For sedan seekers, the Premium also has cylinder de-activation, while Preferred does not. I test drove a Preferred and sat in a Premium. Living in Seattle, a sunroof is not that important, but, as a lightfoot driver, I think I should be able to get more than 1mpg better than what EPA claims are the differences between the two models.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Preferred in Machine Grey Metallic
173 Posts
I'm leaning towards the base soul red hatch with the greige interior, with a good price/equipment ratio, and plenty nice to look at , 4 grand cheaper.
With $4,000 you could add some ceramic window tint, a nice dashcam, a nice vacation, and have money left over. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad I went for the premium hatch, the package was nice enough to help make the decision though could've done with out the sunroof. And no the HUD does not shake one bit! its as steady as a rock like the rest of the car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
With $4,000 you could add some ceramic window tint, a nice dashcam, a nice vacation, and have money left over. :)
I second the tint, i personally have nano carbon ceramic tint. worth it.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Get the Premium, it's worth every penny. The red leather interior is beautiful. The sunroof is whisper quiet when it's closed and a treat when it's open. The signature headlights and led taillights look amazing and really light up the road. The HUD is solid with no shaking at all. Life is too short to compromise. Go for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess you’re right, a lot of the features on the premium are important to me in the car. Maybe I could try and be patient and wait for the 2020 model year for a better deal on the 2019s?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Right now I'm shopping around for a Mazda 3 and I'm really struggling to figure out what I really want in my (possible) new car. I'm torn between the sedan and hatchback (leaning more towards the latter though :wink2: ), but the biggest thing is trim level. I really would like a Premium, but a Preferred definitely more manageable price wise. The three biggest things I want are a sunroof (premium only), the red/white interior (premium only, unless I go for griege but then I would still have a black dashboard), and the look of the signature DRLs (also premium only). The only thing is that I'm not sure if those features are really worth an extra 2,300 considering I don't really care about things like the HUD, paddle shifters, or adaptive lights.
I was in the same position before the purchase. My recommendation is to get a (best price) quote from the dealership to see how much price difference between the two trim. Higher trim level almost always has a higher margin compared to lower trim so the price difference after negotiation may not be as big as you'd thought it would be. Just as an example, the fwd sedan /w preferred is priced at $25120 MSRP vs Premium at $27680. After a couple of hrs of negotiation, I got the Preferred at $23900 and Premium at $24700. Suddenly, the premium is a lot easier to stomach and the preferred price makes less sense than the premium.

The premium package is definitely worth the price difference above. The white leather looks amazing, HUD is very useful, don't care too much for the moonroof and paddle shifters but they're quite nice, Adaptive LED headlights, and the signature DRLs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good suggestions here.

Leatherette requires less maintenance than leather. The adaptive headlights are useful (I have them in my current BMW 335i). I have the paddle shifters, but I have hardly used them in my 335i. HUD I feel is pretty useful to me. Was hoping they could project the navigation directions on it.

I would look at it this way. How long do you plan on keeping your car. If you plan on keeping it for a long time (in my case 10+ years unless there are major issues) and can afford the extra amount for premium, I would go for it. You also need to remember, the extra tech means more things can break.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts