2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Im thinking of getting an SRI for my 2011 2.0L i Touring MT. I've been reading quite bit of literature and there seem to be numbers supporting torque and hp gains from these systems but practically everyone seems to hardly notice anything but the sound. So my question is, has anyone done comparisons of something like 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times with and without the SRI or CAI installed?

I couldn't seem to find any numbers anywhere but I refuse to believe thats not the first thing people did when installing a performance mod. Also, how does the sound... sound? I don't want a tiny car that makes more noise than a sports car but can't walk the walk.

Also, this will be my first real mod. I've done audio work and electrical stuff before but the most I've ever done with the mechanical part of a car is an oil change and tire rotation. Am I in over my head? From what I've read, these are the easiest mods on the planet.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Short ram = nicer sound, less mpg since you lose low end torque and hp, probably a 2whp gain overall, like 6-7 hp at crank, id say dont bother, just mode the stock, take the bottom off and u just made a short ram.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Yes, it sounds nice. Gives you bragging rights, looks nice.

No, hp gained doesnt change the 0 to 60 time, unless its drastic. And 0 to 60 isnt a practical benchmark.

Pick your flavour

·
Boost or Bust.
11 Posts
the motor will always suck a certain amount of air depending on the size of the engine, even putting the nicest filter on doesnt make it possible to fit more air in that amount of space. contrary to what most ppl believe, the engineers that designed that air box built it that way it is for a reason. its easy to look in and go AH ill rip this out and make it better. besides, i know on the 2011 2.0 its a very breathable design. some cars take bettter to sri or hai whatever u want to call it than others do, part of the reason these mazdas are as sporty as they are is how breathable they are.ive never bought one of those overpriced kits im a fan of buying the biggest meanest k&n that fits in ur amount of space and make it work with whatever piping your parts store offers, and if they dont have just the right angle you need go to home depot and use pvc piping, you just spent a fraction of what you would have, you have the most high flow filter there is, and most importantly you have the satisfaction of knowing you dont need to rely on the expensive aftermarket. if your only going to gain .75 of a horsepower you might as well do it as cheap as possible.

more air = bigger motor/ or a turbo of course

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
You will see increased mps if you aren't putting your foot into it, yes you will gain hp/tq but not enought to notice a difference as 6-7=2-3 at wheels. Sri's really arent loud unless pushing your car hard. They give the car a nice deeper tone then stock. Choose your brand it doesn't matter which. The only way to get the most out of your sri is a tune along with headers/exhaust with a tune and sri you can be putting down more power easily.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The install is super easy and only needs a minimal amount of tools. CorkSport's version has very detailed instructions and they tell you what you will need. You can download that from their site if you want an idea.

The HP/TQ gain is not huge, but I suppose any bit helps. It does noticeably pull a bit better at highway speeds when you want to pass. As others have mentioned, it does absolutely change the sound of the engine and you will hear it when you put your foot into it. However, you can keep it quiet when you want.

Also, I have the 2.5 liter and have no experience on any possible gains with the 2.0 liter. I can't image it's much different.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to own a 2.0L 2009 mz3 and found it liked to rev to high RPM much more easily than the 2.5L I have now, so mid/high end gains work a bit better on a 2.0L. The sound of an SRI is intoxicating as it makes you want to rev all the time to hear that nice mean (but not obnoxious or ricy) sound. Gains are small but I did notice them on my 2.5L, I think you will notice some difference in the 2.0L as well.

It does take the car some time to adjust to the new airflow so either reset the ECU or be patient, a tune will always get the most out of your mods, but I suggest doing all your bold on modifications first then tuning.

I did an intake, timing advance, condenser kit, extra ground, all at the same time, overall I noticed the car revs up a bit faster, shifts smoother, and feels peppier than before. With the timing advance I've been putting in 89 octane Chevron gas (the middle option here in Idaho, 87/89/91) and the engine seems to like it best.

I like the corksport with the airbox because it gives the engine bay a "stock" look to it if you cover up the corksport logo with some electrical tape, that way if you ever need to go to DEQ and they look under the hood its not as obvious that the car has been altered, tho the LEDs from the buddy club give mine away.

Reactions: amoo3
1 - 8 of 8 Posts