2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster...

I bought my 2010 Mazda 3 from a reputable dealer in my area about 45 days ago. I live in Maryland, so in the past week we had a snowstorm, so like many taking care of their "babies" it was time to give mine a bath.

I took the car to a car wash near me. When they brought the car out of the automated car wash and dried it off, I noticed that my power steering wasn't working. Not only was it not working and the idiot light for the steering system on, but my check engine light and my stability control light were on. After calling the dealership's service department, we tried to reset the steering by turning the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right, turning off the car, and after about 30 seconds we turned it on. At that point not only did the power steering not work, ALL THE WARNING LIGHTS came on, including lights not previously mentioned.

The service guy said I shouldn't drive the car and it should be sent to the closest Mazda dealership to get looked at.

After about 3 hours of waiting, I got an answer that the repair costs were going to cost around $1400!!!! This car has less than 56k miles on it!!!

Is this problem a known problem in the Mazda3 community or is this some freak thing? Did I make a mistake buying a 2010 model because of weird issues? I've never had anything like this happen to me before. I had a 2003 Honda Civic Si for 10 years and the only issue I had was a clutch replacement after 100k miles.

Thank goodness my dealership gave me a Fidelity warranty to cover the expense minus the $100 deductible, cause I would have been completely screwed!

·
Registered
106 Posts
First time poster...

I bought my 2010 Mazda 3 from a reputable dealer in my area about 45 days ago. I live in Maryland, so in the past week we had a snowstorm, so like many taking care of their "babies" it was time to give mine a bath.

I took the car to a car wash near me. When they brought the car out of the automated car wash and dried it off, I noticed that my power steering wasn't working. Not only was it not working and the idiot light for the steering system on, but my check engine light and my stability control light were on. After calling the dealership's service department, we tried to reset the steering by turning the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right, turning off the car, and after about 30 seconds we turned it on. At that point not only did the power steering not work, ALL THE WARNING LIGHTS came on, including lights not previously mentioned.

The service guy said I shouldn't drive the car and it should be sent to the closest Mazda dealership to get looked at.

After about 3 hours of waiting, I got an answer that the repair costs were going to cost around $1400!!!! This car has less than 56k miles on it!!!

Is this problem a known problem in the Mazda3 community or is this some freak thing? Did I make a mistake buying a 2010 model because of weird issues? I've never had anything like this happen to me before. I had a 2003 Honda Civic Si for 10 years and the only issue I had was a clutch replacement after 100k miles.

Thank goodness my dealership gave me a Fidelity warranty to cover the expense minus the $100 deductible, cause I would have been completely screwed!
I also have a 2010 and while my power steering is "noisy" it hasn't failed on me yet. She has about 35k, bought her with 21k in June of 2013. I'm thinking maybe some water possibly got into your engine bay and may have shorted something, or maybe the car wash itself somehow damaged your vehicle. Maybe they didn't put it in neutral/left it in park when it went through the wash and that somehow caused physical damage.

If you weren't noticing any weird issues before and if this is the first time you used that car wash, I know where I would send the bill.

I love my 2010 and my only issues so far have been crappy mounts, which are in the process of/or already have been replaced.

Hopefully you can get your issue taken care of. Our cars are great!

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
There was an issue some people had with the power steering cutting out on them randomly. Not the first time I have heard this. It's not super common but it has come up on here before. I don't remember what the fix was.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Let me tell you what could of happened. during the car wash your MAF sensor got wet and short circuited. ( turning the car on and off will not help, you have to actually unplug the battery )

It sounds insane that a maf sensor would do this but it DOES. One time in heavy rain my car got the wiring on the maf sensor wet and it shorted. I lost power steering, lost power (hp), my gauge cluster turned into a christmas tree. the Traction light, steering wheel light, ABS, I mean literally all sorts of stuff.

pulled over at a gas station and I unplugged my battery for about 5 mins, cleaned away the water and it was fine. I knew exactly what to do because it had also happened one time before when I was attempting my first turbo build, I touched the inside of the maf sensor with a Q-tip trying to clean it and actually killed it.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I would just drive it without power steering

It feels better and you save 1400 bucks:w00t 1:
you should try driving it without the power steering.

it is difficult as hell even when not stopped. when it happened to my car the steering locked up

this guy was barely able to get off the highway
http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=336823

this confirms our power steering is whack:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/6556-power-steering-malfunction.html

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
you should try driving it without the power steering.

it is difficult as hell even when not stopped. when it happened to my car the steering locked up

this guy was barely able to get off the highway
Power Steering malfunction indicator illuminated while driving - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

this confirms our power steering is whack:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-skyactiv-discussion/6556-power-steering-malfunction.html
Ive disabled it before and it felt fine. Obviously if youre in the middle of a turn or youre not expecting it to go out you may panic but if its off all the time you get used to the effort it requires.

Then again I drove various AE92 Corollas for 4 years with no power steering so I guess I have more tolerance for that than most lol

FWIW I actually think my 2013 is a little over assisted. I wish it had a little more weight to it like my moms Cobalt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Another crazy thing was that the car was idling very funny after the car wash. It was bouncing back and forth from 0 to 1000 rpms without any depression on the accelerator. It was freakin' whacky.

As for driving it without power steering: I didn't just shell out $15k on a car with less than 60k miles on it to not have power steering. Besides: with all the other lights popping on and off, would you drive it that way? I don't think so...

How expensive is an MAF sensor to replace? If that's the case, why do I feel like the dealership should know about an issue like this and has quoted me a fix that could have been a lot cheaper? I haven't seen the bill in person yet, so I'm not 100% as to what could possibly cost us $1400 besides a whole power steering assembly.

I've grown to really not trust car dealerships anymore for anything, so them over fixing the issues wouldn't surprise me one bit.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
As orange said definitely your MAF than. Get some MAF cleaner from an auto store. Don't use brake clean or anything else on it. If it doesn't get better after cleaning it then get a new one.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you think the maf is shorted then disconnect it and see if any of the weird electrical problems go away.

Also I wouldn't recommend you start throwing parts at this especially expensive parts like a maf sensor

·
Registered
1 Posts
steering wheel light on abs and brake light while turning wheel at stand still?

i have a 2004 mazda 3 while turning the wheel the stereo cuts out the following light come on and the car rpms die down , steering wheel light with ! MARK ,ABS LIGHT, BRAKE LIGHT and the steering wheel wants to fight the other way like if u turn right while u are half way turning the wheel wants to go left . is this car worth buying for 1000.00 dollers with the issues it is having and the car has 189,000 miles please respond .. thanks justin , the battery is low i have to keep jumping it so i dont know if that could be part of the isssue .
you can email me at.... [email protected] put 2004 mazda in subject thanks again ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time poster...

My sister is having the same issue. What did the dealer tell you the issue was?

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time poster...

I just bought a used 2011 Mazda 3 and 2 weeks later the steering light briefly came on. then at the next turn I suddenly found that I lost powered steering. struggled to make the turn. How to solve this? From an internet search it seems that this is a common problem but I could not find a solution posted. I got the car towed back to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First time poster...

OMG LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID HAPPENED TO ME.
Powersteering failure traction light on shuddering car unable to get traction. Speed stuck between 50-55km engine light light. Radio cutting out windows stopped working. Car then turned of and on while turning into car park .
Mazda claim car wont fault with them 3 weeks with them driving it then given back to me 24hrs later doing that and more.
Car goes back in they have had it 4 weeks again and are saying the car is safe there is nothing wrong with it.

I HAVE LOGGED A PRODUCT AAFETY PROBLEM ON PRODUCT SAFETY AUSTRALIA REGARDING THIS . MY CAR IS 2012 MAZDA 3 BL MY13 NEO 2.0 SEDAN AUTO

·
Registered
5 Posts
OMG LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SAID HAPPENED TO ME.
Powersteering failure traction light on shuddering car unable to get traction. Speed stuck between 50-55km engine light light. Radio cutting out windows stopped working. Car then turned of and on while turning into car park .
Mazda claim car wont fault with them 3 weeks with them driving it then given back to me 24hrs later doing that and more.
Car goes back in they have had it 4 weeks again and are saying the car is safe there is nothing wrong with it.

I HAVE LOGGED A PRODUCT AAFETY PROBLEM ON PRODUCT SAFETY AUSTRALIA REGARDING THIS . MY CAR IS 2012 MAZDA 3 BL MY13 NEO 2.0 SEDAN AUTO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there. Did you hear back about your car yet? I am going through the exact ssme thing!!
i responded on other thread to you.
Ill share what communication ive been dealing with. Mazda still wont admit a problem as they claim they cant get my car to fault. They have been working on it 3.5 weeks after going to the accc and fair trading and writing a formal letter of complaint to mazda australia

1 - 20 of 24 Posts