2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazda has just diagnosed a noise we've been hearing while manoeuvring at low speeds as a short in the power steering pump. They're quoting $1600 for parts and labour as the car is outside warranty - $900 for the replacement pump and $700 for the installation.

As the car is five years old that seems like a pretty significant (and costly) failure - has anyone else had experience of this? Can OEM parts be bought elsewhere and if so where would I find the part code? I read that some of the parts in the car are actually manufactured by Ford, is this another avenue worth pursuing?

Would appreciate any advice/input on this one.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's bad luck if it is what it is.

But if it's outside of warranty why not take it to an independent mechanic for a second opinion? Or even another dealership for that matter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's going to be the plan, but I'd like to go in with all the facts. We were blindsided by the news today, I'd prefer to go into any more conversations with a proper grasps of what our options are and some idea of the part costs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It may sound obvious but make sure to check the fluid level too to make sure it's at the proper level and there's no sign of a leak

1 - 4 of 4 Posts