2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i turned my car a few days ago and realized the power steering malfunction light was on. Driving is possible but it requires a lot of physical effort to turn the steering wheel. I took it to a repair shop a day ago and they told me nothing was wrong. The funny part was that when i was driving to the repair shop with the malfunctioned steering wheel, i believe i hit a small pot hole and the power steering malfunction light went off and the steering started working like it was brand new again. The power steering has been going on and off at random times during the past few days. (2010 mazda3i sport 7000 miles). I was wondering if anyone had a similiar problem. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this same problem the other day in my 3i touring. all i did was turn the car off and back on and the light went away and it was back to normal

·
Registered
336 Posts
It happened to me the first winter pretty much any day it was below freezing...after 10k the light never came back and i never bothered to check for codes with a real scantool.

Reactions: Bobror

·
Registered
412 Posts
Our 3's have old fashioned hydraulic power steering pumps. Sounds like your boost pump may be failing. Take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, you're correct. I was just saying that the symptoms sound pretty common to a failing hydraulic pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I took my car into the dealership. They told me that I would need to have the pump, wiring harness and a few other steering components. All amounting to a little over $3700.00. Which leads me to believe that they don't have a clue. Especially when the amount comes out to be almost the amount it would be to replace almost every part to the power steering. If anyone figures this out please let me know and I'll do the same if I come up with the solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
YESS!! same problem today and I got quoted the same thing and also thought that they had no idea what exactly was wrong.Infuriating! What did you do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well the power steering on my 2006 2.3 is completely gone. It is funny because on Friday it was OK. Came home from work park on the driveway, Saturday morning had to move the car for furniture delivery and no power steering and steering light was on. I pulled code U0131 which is lost communication with power steering control module. The possible reasons are damaged wire or the pump(the control module is inside the pump). Spend the weekend looking at the issue. Couldn't fine any broken wire, took the pump apart and found some water inside the electrical part of the pump so maybe i got the circuit board fried. Ordered used pump online and will see what happens. And I am in Florida and it is raining hard almost every day so it is possible that I got water inside the pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with my Mazda verisa 2007. The steering wheel icon is on on the dashboard and it is very difficult to turn the steering. There is even a clicking sound coming from the left side (passenger side), this is where the fuse box is. What could be the problem? My mechanic says the motor is okay, the fuses are okay but I don't k ow what is wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts