2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5-speed 2004 3s. When the temps drop below maybe 28, the power steering doesn't work. If the temps are close to freezing (about 26-28) and it's not working, I can usually drive a couple of miles, shut the car off, and it'll work when I restart it. This leads me to believe that I have bad fluid and it freezes (maybe got polluted with water??). Given that info, I have two questions: 1. Will I damage anything in the steering system if I continue driving this way? and 2. What is the best way to bleed or flush the system to replace fluid? Thanks.

Also, anyone know how to clean the evap canister?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It doesn't sound like a fluid issue. I think you may want to ask your mechanic about replacing your power steering pump. Mine did something similar, however it would lock up mid driving. Definitely not something you want to play around with

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never got around to writing back. I found the problem and fixed it by replacing the the power steering pump motor. I had seized due to a bad gasket/seal between the pump and motor which let water in. The water would freeze overnight, then warm up when the car was running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts