2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It' s been a while w/o posting here but I thought this could interest some of you.

My wife 2012 "3" had a strange prob, suddenly the power steering went off. Fortunatly she could stop the car but turning the wheel was really hard having to counter balance the hydraulic pressure on the wheel. Once she pulled over and stopped, it came back as suddenly as it went off.
I had to go to the dealer for maintenace, they took a look but as nothing appeared on the computer ...
One or 2 weeks later, I encountered the same problem myself. I noticed I had to slow down and to turn the wheel by 70+ degrees to make the power steering working again. It worked for another 2 weeks or so.
Then within a week it happened 2 more times so I decided to go back to the dealer. Still no alert on their computer but by luck (?) it happened while the mechanic was bringing the car on the lot. He put the computer back but still no error code. He told me they will inquire at Mazda Europe but it was the 1st time they had such prob on the "BL". They already had such issue on the 2003-04 "BK" but the prob had been solved on the 2005.
After 1 month ('cos of the summer holidays) they phoned me back to confirm the news. As it seems the problem is exactly the same as on the "BK", they wanted to change the power steering and the hydraulic hoses. On the "BK",the problem was the oil becoming mamelade causing a power steering malfunction. Problem, my car was at that time out of warranty (3 1/2 years) and the cost should be around 1900 € (2100 USD). Fortnatly Mazda took all the parts for themselves (1500 €/ 1650 USD) and I took the rest (6 hours + oil).
Seems it solved the prob as till now (3 weeks) everything runs fine again.
Anyone with the same problem here?

·
Registered
975 Posts
So basically the tech is blaming "improper maintenance" ?
(even if the owner manual is not right in the first place), just curious. That is what it sounds like.

On gen1s however the hydraulic pumps literally just failed and died, but typically over time. Mine does when I push it, but I believe it to be the electric motor, as I've replaced the hydraulic pump. And the motor is just overly expensive for it to flash the light at me and not feel a difference. Not for $1000 at least.
I'd rather go no power steering next time it begins to show issues.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No he isn' t, he was explaining what could cause the problem, what caused the problem on the 03-04 Bk could (seems to) be the same my BL. He told me they had a recall for it.

I guess the power steering is still FoMoCo tagged, I miss those true old Mazda parts.The old because when I tried the new Miata ND, I wasn' t really satisfied with this new electrical power steering, it' s much too light.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I mean he's blaming it in the sense that it could be prevented if... anyone knew about it lol

My P/S light pops up every now and again in parking lots when doing a lot of tight turns, still no idea what causes it though or what the issue is....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it' s the P/S light only, it could be a defect captor. Did you asked a dealer if there was any error code? When they checked mine, I had a few, none P/S related, none with an effect but those could cause issues in the future if they weren' t removed or corrected.

·
Registered
135 Posts
XCnuse, try checking salvage/junkyard for the electric motor.If you don't mind turning a wrench may find one cheap from a rear end collision totaled car.

·
Registered
975 Posts
eh, it hasn't fully failed yet, and while normally I would do what you say, but because it actually is a rather common issue, I don't want to waste my time and ending up with a dud. Until it goes bad.. I can only whine about seeing the light pop up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine just did, fully failed last night. Impossible to activate it back. Guess the problem is elsewhere and the p/s replacement wasn' t necessary :(
Will bring it back to the dealer on monday.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had this happen before. Turning the car off and back on usually gets it working again. I've found that it can happen either when the battery terminal is loose, or if there is a momentary jolt in the car's electrical system (it happened to me when I installed my EONON head unit).

·
Registered
3 Posts
It' s been a while w/o posting here but I thought this could interest some of you.

My wife 2012 "3" had a strange prob, suddenly the power steering went off. Fortunatly she could stop the car but turning the wheel was really hard having to counter balance the hydraulic pressure on the wheel. Once she pulled over and stopped, it came back as suddenly as it went off.
I had to go to the dealer for maintenace, they took a look but as nothing appeared on the computer ...
One or 2 weeks later, I encountered the same problem myself. I noticed I had to slow down and to turn the wheel by 70+ degrees to make the power steering working again. It worked for another 2 weeks or so.
Then within a week it happened 2 more times so I decided to go back to the dealer. Still no alert on their computer but by luck (?) it happened while the mechanic was bringing the car on the lot. He put the computer back but still no error code. He told me they will inquire at Mazda Europe but it was the 1st time they had such prob on the "BL". They already had such issue on the 2003-04 "BK" but the prob had been solved on the 2005.
After 1 month ('cos of the summer holidays) they phoned me back to confirm the news. As it seems the problem is exactly the same as on the "BK", they wanted to change the power steering and the hydraulic hoses. On the "BK",the problem was the oil becoming mamelade causing a power steering malfunction. Problem, my car was at that time out of warranty (3 1/2 years) and the cost should be around 1900 € (2100 USD). Fortnatly Mazda took all the parts for themselves (1500 €/ 1650 USD) and I took the rest (6 hours + oil).
Seems it solved the prob as till now (3 weeks) everything runs fine again.
Anyone with the same problem here?

I have had this problem also. 2012 mazda 3 sedan.
Powersteering light comes on steering well completely locks cant move it at all nearly crashed 5 times in 10 mins pull car over turn off and on then its fine. Go to turn steering wheel did it again.
This had happened at random over a month just occasionally but not quick enough to see the issue at first until the time it did it 5 times over 10 mins to see the powersteering failure light .
I took it in to be fixed they said it faulted and cost $800 for the powersteering sensor to be replaced.
Got the car back the next day faulted again. Then did it twice more but then nothing for 2 weeks.

Then 2 weeks after it had been fixed , the powers steering faiulre light went on for my entire drive to work. This time i had partial heavy steering if only driving 50km/hr. Every time i stopped would go off. Then as soon as i turned the steering wheel would go on again. The radio was going in and out of sound all the way as well
I went to park in carpark the car completely failed turn off ignition all electronics all by itself. The windows wouldnt go up.
The car then restarted all this within 5-10seconds by itself
I then turned car off and on myself and then the windows were able to go up. And the powersteering failure light turned off. I went to work cakled service advised them what was happening.
When i left work the car worked fine enough to drop it to the service .
Was sent to mazda. Mazda had my car for 3 weeks used 2/3 tank of my petrol and claim it didnt fault once there is nothing wrong with it.

I get the car back drive it home. The next day drive car to shops- car starts shuddeering wont drive past 60km an hr... the cars traction light is on and car is constantly trying to get traction.
Causing the shuddering. I cant speed up i cant pull over where i was do i had to keep going. The powersteering failure light comes on the steering locks up.

Im panicking i have a 2 and 3 yr old in the car.
I get to shops. I call service . Car goes back in. 4 weeks its been with mazda who arent doing anything for 4 weeks say a tech is coming and nothing.
Time for fair trading

1 - 11 of 11 Posts