2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Motorola charger that looks like this when no power is being supplied:

And it looks like this when when power is being supplied:

When I plug it into the outlet in the center console, the blue light stays on even after turning the car off. The light turns off if it is connected to the outlet in the cubby in front of the shifter. I have proximity key-push button start, but I don't think that should matter.

Dealer trip?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops! If I posted in the wrong area, I apologize. Friendly laid-back Mods, please feel free to move it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, will having the charger plugged into the center console cause battery drain? Is it a good idea to move the charger from center console to dash?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Yes it will drain battery over the course of weeks sitting. As long as you drive the car on a weekly basis it won't cause a dead battery. But it doesn't hurt to just put it in the front outlet either.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys.. I have already moved it to the dash outlet.

I wonder why the console outlet stays active. Is that by design?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
It's by design. I find it useful myself, I can charge my phone without having to turn the key to ACC and I can keep my phone hidden inside the center console if needed to be.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes it will cause battery drain.
Yes, but if we're talking a LED on a car charger it will take a LONG time to drain the battery to below usable standards. If you're powering a AC/DC converter with an Xbox and TV plugged in, that's another story.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I have already moved it to the dash outlet.

I wonder why the console outlet stays active. Is that by design?
It has a little battery icon on the outlet, my assumption has just been this one will always run on 'battery' instead of relying on the alternator. I personally think it's useful for my car charger when I run into the store or fill up with gas, it keeps the phone charging with the car turned off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would have been pissed if I didn't have at least one outlet that was on when the car was off. They should all be that way. It's just simpler. Seriously, when was the last time you heard of anyone running their battery down because they left something plugged in their outlet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm.. Maybe I'm worrying too much. I think I'' move the charger back into the console. I like the cleaner look :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts