2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed here lately that when i am turning my steering wheel that the lights dim the rpms drop to about 600 (from 900 roughly) and the interior lights dim. Why is my power steering pulling so much power from my alternator????

·
Registered
96 Posts
What year of Mazda do you have? I see some posts on bad power steering pumps on older Mazdas.
The newer Mazdas (2014 and later) have full electric steering, which as I understand it do not use hydraulic power. It only gives power assist when needed, so it saves on gas. In that case it's probably a bad controller. Does this happen only when you've got the wheel turned as far it will go?

For the earlier setup, this might be interesting: An Additional Note About The Steering Type - 2012 Mazda 3 Long-Term Road Test

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
if you have a hydraulic pump (older 3s up to about 2013) check your fluid level and belts for wear and tightness. but many cars while idle if you turn the wheel all the way will do this as it is alot of strain, it even says in your manual not to keep your steering wheel cocked all the way to one side for more than a few seconds as it can ruin the pump how many miles on your 3? what year? which engine? all this will help us better diagnose your issue. some of the older 3's also have a power steering recall on them check your vin for that and see if it is affected and/or has been fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts